Will anacharis recover from excel? Question

1. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

My 75 gallon in only a couple of months old. I have some sword, java fern, anacharis, and what the store said was water primrose. I decided to try excel to help spur growth. I only did the recommended daily dose for two days when my anacharis started looking pretty pitiful. I didn't do the suggested big first dose, and now I'm glad I didn't. I have since ordered equipment to go with a pressurized co2 system. I'm hoping the anacharis will rebound with the new set up but in the last week since I tried the excel it hasn't really improved. Does anyone have experience with anacharis bouncing back? I wouldn't mind so much if I didn't have such a hard time finding it in the first place.

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'm not entirely sure it was the excel that caused the anacharis to melt, especially if you were only adding the recommended dosage. To be honest, pressurized CO2 runs more of a risk to cause problems in a tank than excel and can potentially harm the fish if not used properly. Plants really only benefit from pressurized CO2 when they have ample light and fertilization to use it during photosynthesis. Typically, it's better to increase those elements (lighting and fertilization) before going into a CO2 system, imho.

I run a pressurized CO2 system and I really need to be on top of how quickly the tank is being dosed. I also use a lot of ferts and plant grade LEDs for lighting.

3. Chris99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the warning. I'm starting with a low bubble rate and monitoring ph levels. It is only running during the day when lights are on.

As far as the anacharis it was doing well until a couple days after starting the excel. I'm running mid level lighting and have fertilization. I'm currently floating the anacharis and it seems to be improving.