will an underwater frog eat left over fish flakes at the bottom of tank?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by kuba1992, Mar 22, 2010.

1. k

kuba1992 Valued Member Member

hey everyone, i bought 3 greenish underwater frogs the other day and there in my 65 gallon. will they eat left over fish flakes from the bottom? i bought little frog pellets but there tiny pellets and the frogs are pretty skinny. thanks in advance!

2. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  3. OP
    OP
    k

ok thanks and not sure. the tag on the tank at the petstore just said sm. underwater frogs. there like the albino ones that get big

4. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

can you post a pic? I think there's a big difference in african dwarf frogs vs. african clawed frogs. But really, this is SO not my area of knowledge. I think that ACFs are aggressive, but ADFs are very meek, and don't see well, so cannot compete for food. I think you have to target feed them with a turkey baster to keep them alive.

5. g

gunner13 Well Known Member Member

I had an african clawed albino a few years back and had to target feed him blood worm. They get about the size of a fist and they will eat small fish, hope this helps.
    Nick

6. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi kuba
    65g is quite large if you have African Dwarf Frogs.
    They need to be able to get to the top for air. In a community tank, they can easily starve since they're slow to find food.

What other fish are in the tank?

Look at their front feet, if they have webbing between the toes, they're ADF's.

If there is no webbing they're African Clawed Frogs.

Fish Flakes are not a good diet for ADF's. They do well with Blood worms and occasional Frog and Tadpole Bites.

7. OP
    OP
    k

They have webbing on them

8. Lucy

African Dwarf Frogs then.
    Super cute little guys, but may not survive in a tank that large. They do best in tanks so taller than about 18" because they need to get up to breath air.
    I imagine you have big fish. Sadly, if you do, they could become a snack, starve or not got the proper nutrition unless you spot feed.

They'd do much better in a 10g. You'd see them more often and they would be easier to care for.

9. OP
    OP
    k

thanks and no just guppies platies mollys. lol no big fish anymore. and swords

10. OP
    OP
    k

Yeah. I also have a 10g i think . . . . And i have a greenish frog in that tank to. but i got the frog and tadpole pellets, and the frog is still skinny:(

11. OP
    OP
    k

Do you know why???

12. Lucy

The one in the 10g? How skinny? They're not really fat frogs.
    He's with a CAE and guppies?
    You really should try spot feeding him blood worms.
    If you just drop frog and tadpole bites in there, someone else will probably eat them first.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  13. Alee C.

Alee C. Valued Member Member

I currently own 2 ACFs but in the past I owned two ADFs with a few small fish in a 10 gal. Anyway I found that they wouldn't eat the fish flakes. So I had to buy shrimp pellets, the shrimp pellets fall to the bottom and break apart. They are great for feeding ADFs and the fish love them too.

I put flakes and pellets in my tank, flakes for my top dwellers and pellets for my bottom dwellers(eels, ACFs, pleco). One of my ACFs actually will go to the top to get the flakes, and he'll come up to grab onto my finger, but in my experience most ADFs and ACFs prefer food that sinks to the bottom ie: Shrimp Pellets.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice