will an LED reef light work for plant growth

1. zdur Initiate Member

Yesterday i bought a 60gallon 4ft tank, it came with an very nice led lighting system called Dalua MW-11. Its designed for reef and has blue and white light options.

its specs are

DALUA MW-11
    55 x 2 watt Bridgelux LED's
    25:30 white:blue
    4,500 - 6,500 lumens
    14,000k - 20,000k
    Blue LED's 460nm
    400mm x 212mm x 62mm
    2 power cords
    4.8 kg's - Waterproof casing - Non submersible

will this work for photosynthesis and therefore plant growth?
    i dont know what to look for in terms of what will help the plant grow, not even sure if these specs will give you enough information.

thanks alot!

2. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Sadly, it will not work. Plant growth requires a K rating of anywhere between 6000k and 7500k. The PAR for this light would not be significant for plant growth.

If you are looking for a solid light that will produce plant growth, you can look for T5 bulbs rated for plants. I prefer LEDs, but you need to make sure they are rated for plant growth. A lot of marketers try to use cheap LEDs that will not help plants photosynthesize. As far as brands go, I just picked up a Finnex Ray 2 which is really stellar. It is over $100 new, but be prepared to pay that amount if you want to grow plants with moderate light requirements.

What types of plants are you interested in growing? Many do not require expensive fixtures, but will still benefit from some type of bulb within the 6000k-7500k range.

In addition to lights, plants will also require a source of carbon for growth. Many dose with Seachem Excel. I use a CO2 system, but they can be complicated and most plants really do not require it. You will also need to fertilize your plants; some plants absorb nutrients from the water column while others are heavy root feeders and will need fertilized substrate (or root tabs).

But knowing what types of plants (or the care level you are interested in) will help with more specific suggestions. :)

3. Slug Well Known Member Member

Agreed, wrong spectrum on the light for it to do any good for the plants.