Will an assassin snail eat a nerite snail?

bassbonediva

I know assassin snails will munch on pond snails and MTS, but will they go after a nerite snail? I just got an almost nickle-sized zebra nerite snail today to help my pleco out with the algae in my 55gal, but I also have pond snails (from the plants) and even have seen an MTS (probably a hitch-hiker from either the piece of driftwood I brought over from the old incarnation of the 55gal, or from one of the rocks from there). I hate picking snails off the sides of my tank (nothing to do with touching them, I just have better things to do lol), so I was wondering if I could get an assassin snail to take care of the pond snails and any MTS that show up...or will it go after my nerite snail as well?

Nate McFin

Its rare but yes it can.

bassbonediva

Alrighty then! Looks like I'll be picking pond snails out of my 55gal by hand for eternity then. lol Thanks!

ChristineG

Snails have showed up in our 30-gallon tank, too. At first one, that I left because it was only one.... When I bought a plant last week I made sure there were no passengers, and the sales clerk told me that if you put a piece of lettuce down, they'll all climb on that and you can remove them. Have you tried it?
(I was counting on that remedy--please don't tell me it won't work!)

harpua2002

Snails have showed up in our 30-gallon tank, too. At first one, that I left because it was only one.... When I bought a plant last week I made sure there were no passengers, and the sales clerk told me that if you put a piece of lettuce down, they'll all climb on that and you can remove them. Have you tried it?
(I was counting on that remedy--please don't tell me it won't work!)

It won't remove all the snails, but yes, it will work to cut down their population. If you put the piece of lettuce down in a Tupperware container, it is a lot easier to remove when the time comes, just pull the whole container out. Try leaving the lettuce in overnight and pulling it out in the morning, you should be able to get a lot of them out.

Top Bottom