Will an Angel Fish kill my Ottos?

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I really love both fish, and have 3 Otocinclus vestitus, among others, and got warned that Angels would eat my Ottos, which would be a shame. So, should I or should I not get an Angel fish for my tank?

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Welcome to fishlore!

I wouldn't suggest putting either in your tank right now because your info says you just started it a couple of days ago. Angels and otos prefer an established tank because they are more senstive to water conditions so I wouldn't get them for a few months after your tank has been cycled. To answer your question, if you buy a young angel and allow it to grow up with the otos or other small fish in the tank, the angel will be less likely to see them as food. That being said, I've never heard of angels eating otos. I have them together without issues. I would only get one angel for your tank, though, or overstocking could cause them to stress out and then maybe they would eat the otos due to that stress. I hope that helps!

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That info is old lol, the tanks well over a month old now. Im just thinking in terms of future additions for the Angel anyways, Im not ready to get one just yet, but its good to know they go ok, I just need a baby.

Algae Eater

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh, okay. You should update your info because that is what people here refer to when trying to answer questions. Do you know if your tank is cycled yet?

caesar

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, it sure is. I bought a cycling formula (I cant recall the name), got a nice bacterial bloom, and now perfectly fine water.

tetralover77

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have never heard of angels eating otos, but i guess it could be possible, i have no experience with either

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom