Will Algaefix Harm Shrimp?

Kyleaz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Does anyone know if Algaefix by API will harm a shrimp tank. I just did a water change. Something is killing some of my shrimp and I don't know what I would like to use the Algaefix but I don't want to hurt any shrimp. Are guppeis good with shrimp? Bettas eat shrimp don't they? What other fish are safe to put in a shrimp tank to help eat any extra food in the tank?
Mickey

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kyleaz said:
Does anyone know if Algaefix by API will harm a shrimp tank. I just did a water change. Something is killing some of my shrimp and I don't know what I would like to use the Algaefix but I don't want to hurt any shrimp. Are guppeis good with shrimp? Bettas eat shrimp don't they? What other fish are safe to put in a shrimp tank to help eat any extra food in the tank?
Mickey
I've never used Algaefix, but shrimp are a pain in the ass to keep. Any changes in ammonia are fatal, nitrite is a little less so but ANY elevated levels for more than a day or two are fatal, too much nitrate is... You guessed it, fatal (in ridiculously low amounts). Oh and a water change to help? Better be aged water, otherwise no buffer, tap pH and mineral content? FATAL.

Metals are super quick killers, like I would avoid even fish food w copper sulfate in it.

As for fish, I breed my guppies and RCS in the same tank and everything's groovy. The fish eat a few of the shrimp young, but they're glorified water bugs i.e. prolific breeders!! The shrimp also clean up the old food better than fish will, and shrimp feed pretty much constantly.

Speaking of, is the tank heavily planted and is there plenty of biofilm for them to eat??

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom