Will algae wafers help Duckweed grow?

CrystalStar92

I am horrible at keeping plants so, I decided to give keeping Duckweed in my five-gallon nano aquarium a try. I put algae wafers in my tank with the hopes it would help the tank cycle and today I added approximately 100 Live Duckweed Plants (Lemna Minor) to my aquarium. I am trying to prepare it for a few White Cloud Minnows and Red Cherry Shrimp. I have a sponge filter in this tank. What tips and advice can you please give me on how to grow Duckweed?

Amazoniantanklvr

If you kill duck weed I'll be shocked! Light+water+duckweed=growth. They are one of the best beginner plants.

SM1199

Give it a light source and give it some water and it'll grow faster than you can get rid of it. I would reconsider white clouds for a 5 gallon tank as they are very active swimmers despite their small size, and may pick off cherry shrimp. I would go for just the cherries.

CrystalStar92

Amazoniantanklvr said:
If you kill duck weed I'll be shocked! Light+water+duckweed=growth. They are one of the best beginner plants.
lol, thank you for your response and vote of confidence.

Amazoniantanklvr

CrystalStar92 said:
lol, thank you for your response and vote of confidence.
You're welcome! You can do this! lol

jake37

I would call them one of the worse beginner plants; you can't get rid of them.

Anyway guppy+light+water=too much duckweed.
--
To answer the original question as far as I know algae wafers not going to help duckweed grow. I would not put algae wafer in your tank unless you are feeding an algae eater. It isn't going to help with the cyle and it isn't going to help the plants.

Amazoniantanklvr said:

CrystalStar92

Amazoniantanklvr said:
If you kill duckweed I'll be shocked! Light+water+duckweed=growth. They are one of the best beginner plants.
I killed my first set of 199 duckweed plants, I think my sponge filter caused too much water movement. I plan on trying again in a few months when my package arrives in the mail from Amaon.com.

Top Bottom