Will Adfs Struggle With Ghost Shrimp?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by Brenden, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Brenden

BrendenValued MemberMember

I am planning on getting 2 ADFs for a 10 gallon tank.

The current stock is 6-7 ghost shrimp, 1 cobra guppy (likely getting a few more), and 2 nerites.

The guppy picks food off the top, I'm not worried bout the guppy going after the frog's food.

I am worried about the ghost shrimp.

They are the dominant species in the bottom of the tank. Any pieces of food land on the substrate? They are on it within seconds.

I have a turkey baster, and I'm able to feed them that way. However my goal is that the shrimp stick to eating excess fish flakes, and leave the frog food alone.

Do you all think it will be an issue?

Personally I got a gut feeling the frog will likely scare the shrimp off. Cause even my peaceful little guppy is enough to make the shrimp scurry to their hiding holes. ​

2. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like you may have some placid ghosts or not the aggressive type they may also look at the guppy as a predator, try a couple I think I would, but at the end of the day it's your money

3. Tol

TolValued MemberMember

In my experience, guppies are major pigs and will take food anywhere they find it. They learned pretty quickly that they like the frog's food (especially blood worms) and have no problem stealing it. The shrimp will eat whatever food they find on the bottom including the frog's food. The frogs will eat the shrimp if they can, which depends on how big they are and how good and dodging frogs they are.

Spot feeding with a baster, syringe or aquascaping tweezers is ideal for frogs when they are not in a species only tank.

4. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Well each one kind of has a temper of it's own I've noticed. I have one that swims upside down and will compete with the guppy on feeding time. This shrimp is huge. Then I have another that hides under a decoration and only comes out when a scrap lands near it.

Yeah I've started to pick up on that with my cobra. He even picks food off the substrate now. I find it neat, cause he's such an active and colorful fish. However it would probably tick off a frog to have it's food stolen every time.

My idea is that I'll feed the frogs shortly after I feed my guppy. The guppy typically loses interest a few minutes after chowing down, and lets the rest fall to the bottom. So after he loses interest, I'll let my frogs eat using the baster method (cause it's all I got rn).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2019
  5. Tol

TolValued MemberMember

You'll get the hang of it after a bit. My school of Neons which are "Mid Level Feeders" have no problem coming to the surface for food or eating off the substrate, same goes for my rams. I have a baster but for me it is more pain than it is worth because the blood worms tend to just sink right out of it on me. I like the plastic syringe best (un-used one that came with children's medicine). You can push the plunger just enough to get a bunch of worms hanging off the end, and my frogs will grab from it. Tweezers work too, especially for things like Mysis shrimp, but the syringe is still easiest for me. My wife thinks I am insane for feeding them that way, but the frogs are also her favorites so here we are :)

6. OP
    OP
    Brenden

I feel like it's definitely gonna be trial and error, but I like the challenge :)

7. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Well by doing it you'll have the answers when someone else tries the same thing. All the best with it and let us know how it works out

8. OP
    OP
    Brenden

Will do :)

Gonna get the frogs later today