Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Will Adding Sand To My Cyciling Tank Mess Up The Cycle?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Hannah Grubb, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Hannah Grubb New Member Member

Hey! I am about to start cycling my new 30g tank! After everything is set, I will be buying an axolotl to put in! So exciting! One question?
    The tank is full of water and is about to be dechlorinated with Prime and StressCoat. I will also add the recommended dose of beneficial bacteria from TopFin and Dr.Tims liquid ammonia to help start up the cycle. I've been in the freshwater community for a while and am pretty confident with what I;m doing, but since axolotls aren't gouramis or cichlids I'm very nervous I'm going to do something wrong! Does my plan for cycling sound okay? Also, at the moment I haven't boughten any sand to put on the bottom for the axolotl to grip on. If I put the sand in after/in the middle of cycling, will it screw everything up? I'm used to rocks and gravel so I wasn't sure. Thanks a bunch!

2. Seasoldier Well Known Member Member

Hi sand should be inert if you intend to get proper aquarium sand so shouldn't affect your cycle especially if you add it early in the process but don't run your filter until it all settles or you'll end up with sand being sucked in all through the filter.