Will Adding A Dwarf Fire Gourami Be Too Much?

conner Day

Reaction score
so I recently got a 10 gallon tank a week ago i let it cycle for a week and just got fish yesterday, i currently have 4 zebra damios and 2 little pea puffers in it ( ik pea puffers are supposed to be kept alone i thought id try and see how they do with others and they are doing amazing they are swiming with the damions and eating blood worms fine, if later they start to get niped at or nip the daminos ill return them.) My question is do you think id be able to add a dwarf fire dwarf gourami in a week or 2 so the tank has a bit to adjust to the current fish before stressing in out all at once with adding too many fish, will this be too many fish i plan to do 35% water changes weekly and only feed as much as the fish will eat i have one ghost shrimp for clean up crew too. The tank has a sand bottom has 5 and a half plants in it and 2 med sized rocks for the puffers to hide and the other fish to "play" in. if the gourami will be too much as one show piece/big fish what other recommendation will you give? Thanks for the help

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No. Your tank isn't large enough for a community to be honest. To add onto that the zebra danios need a larger tank because of how they swim, pea puffers need to be in a tank by themselves because it keeps them from stressing out, as well as preventing possible damage to other fish when the puffer feels a little hungry and finds fins taste fine.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I agree with Mcasella. A DG would also need a bigger tank and would outcompete the puffers for food. Aggression issues are also very likely and either fish would be capable of causing each other serious harm. The pea puffers wouldn't be able to get away from the gourami as they are poor swimmers.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Sorry to barrage you with disapproval, but letting a tank sit for a week without anything in it isn't cycling it.

conner Day

Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
Sorry to barrage you with disapproval, but letting a tank sit for a week without anything in it isn't cycling it.
i thought that was what you are supposed to do they slowly add fish to the tank so your tank dose not get a shock i tested all the ph and nitrate b4 adding fish all was good ph was 7.2 harness was good and nirate was very low

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
conner Day said:
i thought that was what you are supposed to do they slowly add fish to the tank so your tank dose not get a shock i tested all the ph and nitrate b4 adding fish all was good ph was 7.2 harness was good and nirate was very low
You have to allow the beneficial bacteria to grow on the filter first. I’m on the app so I can’t add a link to the article for the nitrogen cycle sorry.

conner Day

Reaction score
okay i think im going to give the danios back then ad maybe add one more pea puffer instead because i love the little guys so much thanks for the help all

puffer boi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
conner Day said:
okay i think im going to give the danios back then ad maybe add one more pea puffer instead because i love the little guys so much thanks for the help all
i would stick with 2

conner Day

Reaction score
AquaticJ said:
Click on the blue and read up on the nitrogen cycle. If you still have questions feel free to ask! Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
so im assuming since i added fish already next week ill do a water test with my test strips then do a water change and then add the water conditioner to the tap water b4 adding it to the tank, after that the next day i should test the ph and all that stuff again, should i hold off on feeding my fish for a bit? so i dont add too much amonia at once or not feed a lot maybe once every 2 days? also what other tips or things can u recommend to me in this situation since i started this cycle wrong thanks i dont want my fish to die not casue i dont want to waste money they were cheap but because thats a life and i dont want to waste a life for no reason thanks

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If I was in this situation I would:

1). Get an API MASTER TEST KIT for under $30 on Amazon.

2). Do a big, 75-90% water change and add TetraSafeStart + to the filter of the tank.

Follow the directions on the TetraSafeStart website which states no tests or water changes for 14 days. Then test and go from there. Your strips don’t show ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Those are the things you need to monitor regularly. Nitrates mostly AFTER your tank is cycled.

Those 3 things will tell you if you’re cycled, or where you are at in your cycle.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom