30 Gallon Tank Will A Wooden Desk Support A Fish Tank?

SeamuSct

Hi Guys. I am getting back into fish after a solid 5 years. I bought the fish, and turns out the tank leaks. I have properly resealed it and it has stood in the sun for 24 hours (got sun for about 9 hours).

I have given the stand away a year ago to someone, I am willing to use the desk pictured (I hope the attachments work). It is stable and is the perfect size (top view = 92cm x 35cm. So the tank will fit on it PERFECTLY. (Tank is 92L x 32W x 42Hcm).

But... Other family members in the house say it is not a good idea to put a fish tank on wood. We really cant afford a new stand, due to various pandemic stricken reasons. Please let me know whether you think the desk will hold the tank. I dont want to destroy the tank or the desk. We can even put a decent size plank under the tank along with the Styrofoam in order to offer the desk a bit more support without having to bolt or screw anything together.

Please can someone give their opinion. The fish have waited far too long for their new home....

FishBoy101

That table's legs are really thin. 1 gallon is 8.34 pounds, so your stand will have to be able to hold 250.2 pounds. I would advise against putting a 30 gallon on it. Good luck!

Upvote 0

86 ssinit

It may work. For awhile anyway. But it someone leans on it it will probably break. Look for a dresser.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

I agree with FishBoy101 even with thicker legs I would still be weary of putting a tank that big on something not made for one. And even the top could break since it isn't solid since there is a drawer.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

Welcome to Fishlore

I wouldn't be at all comfortable using this as a stand without some strong reinforcement. Putting a fish tank on wood isn't the problem. Those spindly legs in this case are the problem.

Upvote 0

LHAquatics

I don't recommend putting it on that table. I don't want to buy a stand because My budget doesn't support it, So I'm putting it on my Kitchen Counter.

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

I agree with the others. It would probably work, but if it was in my house I don't think I'd sleep well at night.

I had a 40 gallon tank on my wooden desk for a while, but it's a much larger, heavier made desk, and even then I added extra support.

Upvote 0

Shannon529

I don't have anything that would properly support my tank, so while it's weird to some, I have my tank on the kitchen counter. Someday I'll get a stand... when my 2 year tornado is older. I would suggest that if you can, otherwise find something sturdier. Maybe we both should try Facebook Marketplace or something lol

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Donthemon
Replies
Views
Madchild57
Replies
Views
AngelTheGypsy
Replies