Will A Small Amount Of Cycled Media Cycle A New Tank?

1. a

annamary New Member Member

I'm upgrading my saltwater tank and moving my fish into a bigger tank.
    The new tank is about four times the previous size, I added in the cycled filter media to the new filter, but it only occupies 1/4 of the total amount of media. I also added in the old fake coral and some old substrate. Will this be enough to cycle the tank intantly? If not, how long will it take?
    Thanks.

2. Nart

Nart Well Known Member Member

You might run into what they call a "mini-cycle". Try to keep the feeding/bio-load as low as possible for the first 1-2 weeks and keep an eye on your Ammonia/Nitrite. Be prepared to use Seachem Prime if you have it.

3. CasualHobbyist

CasualHobbyist New Member Member

If you put everything from your previous tank (including your substrate and live/rocks) to the new one, then it should be cycled for the number of fish you currently have. However, you should know how to transfer those things properly without killing the beneficial bacteria.

4. OP
    OP
    a

annamary New Member Member

Thanks for the info. When I checked a few days ago the ammonia level was 0.5. Now it's been about a week and my ammonia level is 0. Does this mean it's good to go?

5. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Hi :) So, you're tank is cycled when you consistently have...

ammonia - 0
    nitrite - 0
    nitrates - >0 depending on the type of tank you have, (fish only, FOWLR, reef) you may want nitrates anywhere from 2ppm - 20ppm.

Keep an eye on parameters for awhile and be prepared to dose Prime and/or do water changes should you have any spikes with Ammonia/Nitrites. Good luck! :)