Will A Single Male Platy Be Lonely?

AquaGirl29

Reaction score
One of my two male platies was bullying the other. I tried introducing another two females (there was previously only one) but that made the situation worse if anything. I have now moved the bully into a 5 gallon tank on his own but don’t want him to be lonely. Will he be ok on his own or does he need a companion? Thanks.

Oliver1209

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of my two male platies was bullying the other. I tried introducing another two females (there was previously only one) but that made the situation worse if anything. I have now moved the bully into a 5 gallon tank on his own but don’t want him to be lonely. Will he be ok on his own or does he need a companion? Thanks.
He'll be OK on his own, but platies prefers to be social.Male platies don't get along very well. In the same way that my Roosters don't along. I'll have to cook one soon. Make some Delicious curry.

Put one female in there. Usually Roosters get along with Hens really well.

Deku-Cory

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Platies are fish that do better in large groups, it makes them feel safer and discourages bullying. When you have two males, it’s almost a guarantee that the stronger male will bully the weaker one. But if you can’t do a large group, your male will be fine solo. They don’t crave companionship in the same way humans do. They prefer to be with others, as I mentioned, but he’ll be fine.

AquaGirl29

Reaction score
Thanks to both! If I moved one of the females in with him, do you think he’d bully her? Thanks.

Das Junge

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You may want another female in the tank. Often times, the male will pester the female nonstop in hopes of mating. I’ve noticed this stresses the female, and believe it was a cause of death in one of my late breeding females.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom