Will a Marineland Pro light melt my plants?

1. abovo Initiate Member

I have a 50 gallon corner tank and I don't think my single 24" T8 light is providing enough light for my plants. I understand it's easy to overdo the lighting and damage freshwater plants.

Local to me a Marineland Pro and an Odyssea 24" light are available. The Marineland has 4 T5s, 1 150w metal halide, and 2 LED night lights. The Odyssea is an older model with 3 T5s.

Will these melt my plants? I will get some pictures tonight but I have an Amazon Sword, Anubius Nana, Ludwiga Peruensis, and Wisteria.

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure where you got the idea that increasing lighting would melt your plants, there are some plants that may melt when conditions change (any conditions), but none on your list.

I can't make any recommendations without knowing the depth of your tank, from the light to the substrate. Increasing light generally is accompanied by the need for more ferts, and CO2 (or Excel), or otherwise you will be growing algae rather than plants.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Four T5s is a lot of light. It won't melt anything, but it might lead to some serious algae. Balance is the most important part of a planted tank. The lights, CO2, and amount of plants all have to be in balance or the algae gets a foothold and takes over.

4. abovo Initiate Member

I use Excel and root tabs. From reading this post about melting plants

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=169546

It seems like my single T8 isn't giving enough light to the plants. The tank is relatively deep at 20" from the light to the substrate and the light coverage isn't great due to the pie shape of the tank.

5. abovo Initiate Member

[​IMG]it looks like I have room to add an 18" light behind my current 24" T8 to increase the light at the back.