Will A Female Betta Get Along With Female Mollies And Eat Fry

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had six mollies and like 20 newborn fry in a 10 gallon tank, but I wanted to separate the boys and girls so they would stop having babies so I put the three boys in a three gallon tank and kept the three girls and the fry in the ten gallon tank. The mollies aren't eating the fry so I need to get another fish that will eat the fry I have now, and more because my female mollies are probably pregnant. Should I get a female betta because I read somewhere that they will eat the fry, and they will get along with the other mollies

OP
K

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If I can't get another fish to eat the fry, how do I get rid of them?

Aster

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mollies are unsuitable for a 10g, much less a 3g. They get large (females up to 4-5 inches, males slightly smaller) and produce a lot of waste.

I would advise upgrading to at least a 29g, or returning/rehoming all of them as the females can also store sperm and still give birth to several batches of fry without a male present.

I would not add a betta as betta communities with fish aren't recommended under a 20 gallon due to their aggressive and territorial nature, and you're already extremely overstocked with the mollies.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WELCOME to Fishlore!!!

Unless you get carnivourous fish...most get pretty big an need a minimum of 55 some need a 75...no fish will truly eat the fry. They will eat less than 20%. This is a common misconception of getting semI aggressive fish to eat fry. Mollies need a 29 gallon minimum since they get 5-6 inches. They also produce a lot of waste and need a big filter(10x the gph of size tank). The best way to avoid this is to just get males in the first place.

Females can store sperm for up to a year and reuse it 2-4x so expect another or a couple more batches.

I suggest rehoming all of the fish unless you can handle fry and get a bigger tank(at least 29 gallon). As far as the fry I suggest going t the fish store and try to donate them. Unless you get a bigger tank also donate or return the adult mollies. If you live in the US there is a $1 per gallon sale going on now at Petco till Jan 28.

Sarcasm Included

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Fish frequently eat fry, many species readily eat their own if given the chance. That said, some of the more aggressive fish are the best parents. Outside of that, the rest said was pretty decent advice. If kept in 10 you will start eventually getting infections and suffer repeated losses. After getting the tank from Petco, buy your filter and heater online, then diy your top or buy it online.

OP
K

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The mollies didn't eat all of the fry, that's why I was thinking of getting another fish. And I can't buy another tank or give the fish back to the store

Dragonclaw99

Reaction score
you should see if there's a local fish group who would take them or if any of you friends mite want some

OP
K

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
kiera547 said:
The mollies didn't eat all of the fry, that's why I was thinking of getting another fish. I can't give the fish back to the store, so would a betta eat molly fry if I put the betta in a separate tank

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Adding another fish won't solve your problem and will make it worse. I suggest giving away all the mollies to avoid future problems.

Go on craiglist, ebay or any of those websites and post your fish for a low price or even for free! None of those fish will be able to live in a 10 gallon. The max is having 2-3 mollies if possible with 50% water change everyday.

Honestly if you really can't find another home I have to say euthanization starts to come into play. It would be better for the fish to die peacefully then for it to die of neglect and ammonia poisoning which can last quite awhile. As a 5 year guppy breeder I do not take euthanizing lightly, euthanization is only for deformed fry and we never or at least for the good and true guppy breeders don't euthanize healthy fish. We always give them to the pet store or sell them online. No fish should honestly have to die because it was overbred! Just like stray dogs and cats, they suffer because humans don't know how to control breeding and are producing more than what is demanded

OP
K

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What is euthanizing? And would a betta eat molly fry if I put the betta in a separate tanks

Sarcasm Included

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Euthanasia is a humane killing of the fish and I suggest giving all the mollies away and getting a betta for the tank by itself.

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, bettas have their own diet and must be fed high protein pellet and flakes. Or fed live/frozen bloodworms, brinshrimp, and daphnia. No fish can and should be used as a "fry" controller. Sure the betta will eat a couple to try but it will stop eating it. So overall the answer is NO.

OP
K

kiera547

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Al913 said:
No, bettas have their own diet and must be fed high protein pellet and flakes. Or fed live/frozen bloodworms, brinshrimp, and daphnia. No fish can and should be used as a "fry" controller. Sure the betta will eat a couple to try but it will stop eating it. So overall the answer is NO.
I wouldn't be feeding it JUST fry. And are there any fish that would eat enough of the fry

Al913

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, again any fish that would possibly would need at least a 10 gallon. Also if you can't rehome them you should be focusing on getting a bigger tank. Honestly getting one of those storage bins will also work! There are many videos online of people using storage container to house fish! It's a less expensive way of housing.

New Threads