Will A Dwarf Gourami Work With Tetras?? Question

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by hannah662parker, Aug 20, 2019.

1. hannah662parker

hannah662parkerValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hello!!

I have five black neon tetras that I’m upgrading into a bigger tank, a 20 gallon. I’m thinking about getting 5 more tetras, a male dwarf gourami, and a solo bottom feeder fish. Will these guys get along okay in this size tank?? Thanks!

2. Crispii

CrispiiWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,223
    Dwarf gourami can be aggressive. Best alternative for a dwarf would be honey gourami.

3. gray_matter16

gray_matter16New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +17
    Experience:
    5 years
    Crispii is right they can be aggressive. If you had a bigger tank that would decrease your chances of aggressive behavior. Also, if you have a lot of plants or decor for the tetras to hide, that would also decrease aggressive behavior. But each fish is different, they can be aggressive but doesn't mean they will be. I have a male betta who does great in tanks with pretty much anything other than other male bettas. When you go to look at gourami's, take note of their disposition, find one that looks calm. Are they chasing everything around? What other fish is it housed with? I knew my betta would likely be fine because it was housed in a tank with lots of different types of fish and there were a lot of plants. This was similar to my setup at home.

Gourami's are top layer fish as well, while neon tetras are generally mid-level, so that may help. You're not going to get a definite 'yes' or 'no' answer though. Basically, are you willing to risk buying the gourami if it is aggressive and do you have backup plan if he is?

4. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +4,072
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Black Neons are a pretty hardy species, I would expect them to be just fine with the Dwarf Gourami. They may pick at his feelers, as they are very inquisitive. I would be more concerned with them hurting the Gourami than the other way around.

5. Dave125g

Dave125gFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    They can be aggressive but I think the neons will do fine. I have kept a dwarf gourami with rasboras with no problem. There about the same size.

6. OP
    OP
    hannah662parker

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    That makes sense. I was hoping the gourami would have a little bit better temperament than a male betta, but it sounds like it just depends. I have my neons in a 10 gallon with a male betta right now, but since he’s tripled in size he chases them too often for comfort so I want to upgrade the neons. Are dwarf gouramis in general better dispositioned than bettas do you guys think?? I wouldn’t want the neons to be bullied again, but I think with a 20 gallon (possibly 24 or so, seller wasn’t sure), it would be big enough for no aggression but I’m still worried if gouramis are like bettas

7. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Bettas and dwarf gouramis are similar in that some can be peaceful and do fine in a community while others are aggressive. It's a matter of the personality of each specific fish.

Someone mentioned a honey gourami. Those almost always work well in a community.

A larger tank will definitely help. What will also help are plants. Lots of plants for the fish to hide in and also to brake up line of sight. A 10 gallon is way to small for a dwarf gourami, I think the upgrade in and of itself may solve your problem.

8. OP
    OP
    hannah662parker

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    I have my betta in the 10, I don’t have a dwarf gourami yet!! But I’m really hoping I can make one work in this 20gal.

9. Dave125g

Ratings:
    +10,914
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Oh ok I thought you already had the dwarf. I think you'll be ok in a 20. Mine was in a 29. Which has the same footprint as a 20 long.

10. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I think you're fine with a DG as well. I think the tetras you have and the DG will be fine since the tetras are a hardier tetra. Just make sure you have plenty of decorations the gourami can establish a territory in.

11. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    A DG normally hasn't a territory. Only time it has one it is cause it has a bubblenest that it's defending.

Agression of DG's is often caused by keeping it in too warm water. DG's are temperature sensitive fish. Higher temps trigger mating behaviour what means hormons can make it more agressive towards the fish of same species and even other species if the enclosed space of a aquarium is too small to exhibit this behaviour.

Keeping them cooler therefor is a good idea, often makes them more mellow and doesn't wear them out being continously in that state (= live longer)

12. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +331
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I guess me saying "territory" wasn't exactly what I meant. Basically I meant lots of decorations to break up sight lines and give the fish places to hide to get away from each other :) Basically space for them to "get away". I'm so use to talking bettas that I just naturally use the word territory because for them it really can be LOL

13. OP
    OP
    hannah662parker

Ratings:
    +48
    Experience:
    Just started
    That’s actually awesome to know! Because my tetras have been behaving strangely in my 10gal and I found out on another thread it was because the tank was too hot for them. So for this new tank I’m thinking I’m going to keep it 74 degrees

14. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi – Black Neon Tetra

Good idea