Will a Dwarf Gourami be suitable for my tank?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by crystalm04, Jul 14, 2015.

1. crystalm04

crystalm04 Valued Member Member

I'm thinking of adding a Dwarf Gourami to my tank. I've read they can be territorial and I've also heard they are quite peaceful and get along well in a community tank. I currently have 3 mollies, 2 platies, 1 male guppy and 8 silvertip tetras in my tank. Would a Gourami work well with those type fish?

2. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

What size tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I believe she has a 37g, so yes a gourami will work. Just make sure it's not something big like a kissing gourami.

Edit: or a paradise fish as they are semi-aggressive

4. C

CommunityGuy New Member Member

yes I have 75 Gal. Community tank and the Blue Powder Gourami get along well with Platty, Swords, Guppies, Lam Tetras and Angels.

5. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

its a 37 gallon

Can I get two? If should it be a male and female or two males? I really just want to add color to my tank without going too big. The guy at the pet store was trying to convince me to buy a Discus but I think that might be too big for my 37 gallon. Any other suggestions besides the dwarf gourami that might add some more color to my tank or make a good centerpiece fish?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

A ram or krib might work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

I'll look those up thank you. I know my LFS is getting in some dwarf gourami Friday. Some blue and red ones and they are just soooo pretty. Beautiful colors.

8. Dom90

Two male gouramis will fight till there is only one left. A Discus gets way too big for a 37 and plus it's better to have a species-only tank for them. Yes you can try a Kribensis (like the one in my avatar).

9. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

So a male and female should be ok, they wont get too territorial?

10. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

The pet store guy was trying to sell you discus? Of course he was just trying to make money and doesn't care about the fish at all.

11. Dom90

No, in that tank size like that, I would only do one gourami.

12. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

I have three male dwarf gourami in a 40g(originally 4, one flame dwarf didn't make it), I thought I got a male and female dwarf but the dorsal fin was just damaged. Whoops. My female flame dwarf is the one that didn't make it, so now I have two male dwarf gourami and a male flame dwarf gourami. they get along fine with all the fish. They get along fine with each other until feeding time.

13. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

Yes he was quite pushy about it. Ticked me off a bit to say the least.

14. Dom90

What's the footprint of your 40g though? I'm just saying it's risky, some gouramis are more aggressive than others, all depends on personality. The OP basically has a 29 tall, with a 30x12 footprint.

15. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

hmmmm....I better not push it. Its getting pretty active in there right now. I'll probably just do the one first and see how his temperament is. Thank you for your reply.

Ok so, dwarf gourami is on my list so far. I'm going to look up the Ram and the Krib and go from there. Thank yall so much. As always a great forum to get some good advice. :;perfect

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2015
  16. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I would just do one personally, best not to risk casualties. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

The rams look very nice too. Do rams do well by themselves or do they need a companion?

18. Dom90

They can do well by themselves. However, keep in mind that Rams like it warmer, around 80-82 degrees so your other stock must also be suitable for this requirement as well.

19. OP
    OP
    crystalm04

From what I read about the Ram so far is they do better in just one pair. I read the Krib isn't a very good community fish. So that boils that down to either one dwarf gourami or a male and female ram. I will also have to build them another cave cause my current cave like structure has become a community dwelling. LOL.

20. Dom90

On the contrary, the Kribensis is a very peaceful fish. I have two and they don't bother anybody and just mind their own business, doing their own thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice