will a drop in bioload harm my tank? Question

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by scotty b, Jan 10, 2013.

1. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i am clearing out 200 1/2 grown mystery snails from my tank will the drop in bioload have a negative repercussions ?

2. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I would say no. Unless you're planning to add 200 more in a couple weeks or more.

3. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:;du Thread moved to More FW topics (this is not an advanced topic).

In answer to your question, it depends if you have plants. Reducing bio-load will reduce the overall nitrate level, and plants may suffer.

Too, you may get some BB die-off if there is not enough food to sustain the population.

4. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i plan to take out every ssnail then leave my stock alone

*sorry i dident know ware to post

i do have plants but most are root feeders will they be in shock

i never get high nitrates so do i need to supplement something for plants ?

5. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

HAH have fun picking out every snail :p (You'll never find them all.)

It shouldn't bother root feeders as much, though they would appreciate a root tab if they don't have any.

Plants don't need HIGH nitrates, they just need nitrates. 10-20ppm is usually recommended. Though that's more for plants that feed from the water column like java ferns.

6. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

ive picked out 214 of them and i feel there are still some hiding in the tank :;laughing

7. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I have some that magically teleported from one tank to another :p

8. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Burger king keeps magically teleporting into my stomach, I just don't get it! Good luck with the snails friend, as a matter of interest where are these snails going now that they are out of the tank?

9. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

:;laughing

10. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I can't believe you bothered to count them :giggle:

I don't think you'll ever get rid of all of them.... snails have a magical quality, and they just appear from nowhere

11. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

im bringing them by a few lfs in the morning to see if thell take them, if not ill dump them in a tank at petco and run away :;nin2

12. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I hope you're joking :;sh

13. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

:;laughing

I got a good laugh out of that, but seriously though, that's frowned upon. :p

14. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

lol yes it was a joke . im sure a few lfs would be happy to take them

15. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

You can dump them in my tank :D

16. ivonkoValued MemberMember

i was going to say the same thing :) take some pics and i know i personally will want to take about 10-20 off your hands, and im sure at LEAST 10 other members would love to have some.

17. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

18. scotty bWell Known MemberMember

i dont think it would be good to ship in winter :-\ ? cn if you make it into denver you could have a few

19. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

That's a 3 hour drive. I don't think mystery snails are worth that to me. Thanks though.

20. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Per kinezumi's post - if you'd like to offer the snails to members, please use the Buy/Sell/Trade/Free forum - standard rules apply ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice