Will A Bubbler/air Stone Help

Kameron
ive had a couple issues with one fish passing and another one now seeming like it. It just looks like he is gasping for air. He doesn't go to the top and he is swimming for the most part. He has been in my tank for months. It's a long finned skirt tetra. I have 4 right now. He is the only one swimming and gasping for air. I was thinking an air pump/ bubbler would help? All my water parameters are good.
Ph 7.6
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
76 F
Water changes 20-30% weekly and dose with prime
I have a bio wheel HOB filter it's a 36 gallon tank. I also have live plants in the water.

He was not doing this until I saw the one before dying and laying on the bottom yesterday. So I took it out and just maybe 10-20 minutes later he started doing it. He was fine before eating and swimming. It seems kinda like the same issue as the other one so now I don't know what to do?
Maybe more air would help is all I can think of. He isn't eating now either just swimming for the most part normal.

Sanderguy777
How calm is the water surface? Are there ripples, flat, waves? If it is pretty rough, the bubbler would probably not help....however, ive never heard of it hurting either, so it is worth a try.
Did you test the water before or after the fish died?

Kameron
No strong waves or anything. Bubbles near the surface and filter from that water flowing in.
I tested before when I noticed what was going on and everything was fine. My nitrates were closer to 10-15 but nothing crazy. I decided to do my water change just to be on the safe side and after that maybe I stress that fish out more and didn't last long after that. So took it out and like I said probably 15-20 minutes later another one is gasping or breathing fast. It ate yesterday before it started doing it and now isn't eating. I'm going crazy. I feel like they are the fish from finding Nemo trying to get flushed lol

Sanderguy777
Not sure then. It sounds like there is enough surface agitation but I'm don't think there is a scientific way to know...
I have had fish do that. Sometimes it is just them stretching, sometimes it is them dying. It is certainly out of my experience level to diagnose it though.

Kameron
Not sure then. It sounds like there is enough surface agitation but I'm don't think there is a scientific way to know...
I have had fish do that. Sometimes it is just them stretching, sometimes it is them dying. It is certainly out of my experience level to diagnose it though.
Ok no problem. Thanks for the help. I will be going to petco to grab an air stone to see if that is the issue. Will post if it was or not here. Thanks

Sanderguy777
Welcome. If it were me, I'd get a medium or large pump just in case you ever want an ornament or to power something in the future...

Kameron
Welcome. If it were me, I'd get a medium or large pump just in case you ever want an ornament or to power something in the future...
That makes sense. Thanks. Any brand work?

Sanderguy777
I personally like tetra quiet. But right now I have topfin.
Never owned them, but aquaclear, fluval, or ehiem are good bets, but they may be hard to find and will cost more.

Kameron
I personally like tetra quiet. But right now I have topfin.
Never owned them, but aquaclear, fluval, or ehiem are good bets, but they may be hard to find and will cost more.
Ok I'll see what this at petco. Thanks!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies
Views
Goldiefishie
  • Question