5 Gallon Tank Will a Bolivian Ram be fine in a 5.5gal by himself?

bluesky2111

I have a 4 year old Bolivian Ram, yes he's 4 years old. He's living in a 29gal community planted tank. The problem is, he's so old that he's going blind. His one left eye is completely blind and the other one will be soon (I could be wrong about old age being associated with this though). At feeding time he always struggles to compete food with his tankmates because they are fast and young. He often misses the food even it's only milimeters away. I'm thinking about moving him to another tank so he can live by himself but I can only get a 5.5gal (10 gal if my parents are being generous). My question is, should I do this? Is it too small for him? What's other choice that you would suggest? Thanksss.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I think it's a too small, you could get him in a breeder net for feeding time each day, and feed him in there to make sure he gets food, then release him.

Upvote 0

Dennis57

Bolivians only live to 4 maybe 5 in a perfect aquarium.

I think that by moving him at this time may stress him out way to much.

If you really have no other choice I would go with a 10 gallon and bring some plants and or decorations over to the new tank.

Also make sure you bring over the old tank media as well

Upvote 0

carsonsgjs

Or try target feeding him with a turkey baster. Moving him at this stage in his life to a smaller tank may do more harm than good.

Upvote 0

bluesky2111

I think it's a too small, you could get him in a breeder net for feeding time each day, and feed him in there to make sure he gets food, then release him.

Sounds like a good idea but putting him in the breeder box everyday sounds tedious and that would stress him out I think. Not to mention it takes a while to get him because my tank is heavily planted.

Upvote 0

SouthAmericanCichlids

Sounds like a good idea but putting him in the breeder box everyday sounds tedious and that would stress him out I think. Not to mention it takes a while to get him because my tank is heavily planted.
Yeah, i would opt more toward target feeding.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
  • Question
Replies
Views
ButtercuptheOranda
Replies
Views
pattersonbear