Will a betta be able to thrive in a 5.5 gallon long term

catglass

Reaction score
I swear, I thought I had a 10, but re-measuring it, it's like a 5.5. It's heated and filtered, as well as cycled of course. The tank is nowhere near cluttered and the betta has fairly long fins, so he isn't quite as fast as a plakat would be. It's baffled and I'm planning on planting it more heavily soon. Will an environment like this be suitable long term and allow my betta to thrive fully?

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
catglass said:
I swear, I thought I had a 10, but re-measuring it, it's like a 5.5. It's heated and filtered, as well as cycled of course. The tank is nowhere near cluttered and the betta has fairly long fins, so he isn't quite as fast as a plakat would be. It's baffled and I'm planning on planting it more heavily soon. Will an environment like this be suitable long term and allow my betta to thrive fully?
Yes I think a 5.5 is fine. A 2.5 is minimum, and above a 5 is recommended. So a 5 gallon should be fine as long as he isn’t sharing it with other fish. Shrimp and snails are the only tank mates suitable with betta in a 5 gallon. So yes it should be fine. :)

VeiltailKing

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
A 5 is perfect for a betta with long, heavy fins. For a plakat, you’d definitely want at least 10 gallons.

Joshaeus

Well Known
Reaction score
5.5 gallons is usually fine for a fancy betta. Just having it filtered and cycled makes this tank a huge improvement over how many people keep bettas even ignoring the fact that this isn't a cup.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A 5.5 gallon should be fine for a betta. I have my betta in a 6.5 gallon which is only a gallon bigger and he seems pretty satisfied with his home.

aquaticamanda

Reaction score
I can't stand tanks smaller than 10gal. I believe bettas deserve bigger & better. 5gals are too small for fast, happy, thriving bettas.

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aquaticamanda said:
I can't stand tanks smaller than 10gal. I believe bettas deserve bigger & better. 5gals are too small for fast, happy, thriving bettas.
I mean it all comes down to your preference. But anything above a 5 gallon is recommended.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
aquaticamanda said:
A 10 is something that can be quite expensive, I do not agree, but you can take your own prefrence.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FishBoy101 said:
A 10 is something that can be quite expensive, I do not agree, but you can take your own prefrence.
Dpg sale though, it's a bargain. :hungry: (idk why bargains are tasty but it just felt right ok)

I say it's fine for fancy bettas, but any upgrade definitely won't hurt. I had my (fancy) betta in a five gallon until I had a twenty gallon that was going unused I moved him too. Honestly it's not a huge difference to him I think, but the parameters are rarely even a minor concern. It's planted and I only have to do a water change once or twice a month. And I could go longer but, you know. ;)

Aurorafishy

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Livebearer08 said:
I think 2.5 should not be a minimum, but 5 gallons is enough for a betta to thrive.
Yeah I don’t know why they stated 2.5 is the minimum. I didn’t come up with it. I don’t remember who did. But the minimum doesn’t mean the betta is happy in it. It just means that it’s enough to not be considered animal abuse. I personally think 3.5 - 4 gallons should be a minimum. Petsmart says a quart is enough. Which is insane! No betta should be in a tank that small!

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Mine has been in a 3.5 for over 2 years with a Mystery Snail and a Nerite. He's fine but starting to show his age. I would say he's close to 3 years old now. I would agree that 2.5 is the minimum and I think anything over 5 is overkill.

FreshwaterHG

Well Known
Reaction score
Personally I say 5 is the bare minimum. Best for longer finned betta for sure. My reasoning stands in water quality. Anything below 5 can be a challenge to keep within optimum water parameters with a 3” fish. 10 is definitely ideal, but I don’t ever recommend anything below 5.

Miluiel_Erynion

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I had a betta that lived in a 5 gallon for nearly 4 years...and that was *before* I learn about proper filtering techniques and how to feed well (I was like 14 at the time so who can blame me). But he was SO happy his whole life.

Betta'sAnonymous

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
One of my bettas was in a 5.5 until recently. He thrived for the year and a half he was in there. He recently got upgraded to a 10g which he absolutely loves!! Takes advantage of every inch of space. Which he did as well in his 5g, so your betta should be fine :)

Dch48

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
FreshwaterHG said:
Personally I say 5 is the bare minimum. Best for longer finned betta for sure. My reasoning stands in water quality. Anything below 5 can be a challenge to keep within optimum water parameters with a 3” fish. 10 is definitely ideal, but I don’t ever recommend anything below 5.
No problems maintaining water quality in my 3.5. I change a gallon of the water every Sunday and the fish, snails, and plants are all doing well. Nitrates never go over 20 and everything else is perfect.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
5g tanks are perfect for most domestic bettas, the only exception I really had was giants. I wouldn't keep a giant in anything smaller than a 10g, I have mine in a 20g and he's a beast in that tank lol!

I have kept bettas in 2.5-3g tanks in the past and it was fine, not ideal but the situation required it. The fish was fine but I do prefer 5g tanks.

I currently have 14 bettas, working on breeding them, they are crowntails, giants, and plakats. All of my males (except the giant) are in 5g tanks with sponge filters doing amazing. My females are all in a 29g sorority minus one right now that is in one of my males tanks to keep it cycled while he's getting his groove on :p

End of the day the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep water parameters consistent. Most avid fish keepers have no problem with nano tanks but they just require a little more care. Although honestly I'd argue anything 10g and down is all about the same in terms of care and upkeep. You really won't notice a big change in the ease with bigger tanks until you hit 29g and larger. There really is minimal difference between a 3g and 10g in terms of upkeep for a single betta.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom