Will a 75 gallon be ok for an Oscar?

Preston Landolt
Everyone loves oscars and everyone wants one. Now that I have a chance to get one I want to make sure everything is perfect. The most controversial thing I can think of is the tank size for an Oscar so let’s start there. Pets stores say 40 but I know that’s not true, online I find 55 gallons but that’s a bit to small for moly liking, and I’d say the majority of people say either 75 gallons or 125. My budget allows me to get a 75 gallon aquarium so that’s probably I’ll get, I just want to make sure the fish won’t be in a life threatening scenario. I will be getting with this 75 gallon aquarium 2 canister filters with both around 250 to 300 gph ( depending on the brand ) and I wanna make sure that’s enough. I will also plan to put in an aerator or two in there. It will probably be an empty tank besides the one fish and sand. Will this suffice for an Oscar? I plan out all of my water changes in advance and I’ll probably align it with my 55 gallon with about 30 % twice a week. I really want this fish to be happy and be budget friendly. Any thoughts? Thanks!!!

Dinkythedinosaur
Good call on getting the 75 gallon. Oscars really can’t maneuver very well in 55’s when they are adults, their bodies are longer than the width of the tank most of the time. I wish you luck.

Discus-Tang
I think 75 is even a little small, considering Oscars can reach 14". You'll also be struggling with water changes because of their heavy bioloads.

DuaneV
Ive had Oscars for more than 22 years. They get WAY too big for a 75 if you're treating them right (right living conditions, right diet, etc.). I wouldnt go less than a 125. That's the smallest tank Ive had adults in and thought it wasn't too small. You put an Oscar in a big tank to start, feed it right, keep good parameters (hard to do in a small tank) and itll get 20+ inches and live 15+ years with no health problems (read that as HITH).

Discus-Tang
Ive had Oscars for more than 22 years. They get WAY too big for a 75 if you're treating them right (right living conditions, right diet, etc.). I wouldnt go less than a 125. That's the smallest tank Ive had adults in and thought it wasn't too small. You put an Oscar in a big tank to start, feed it right, keep good parameters (hard to do in a small tank) and itll get 20+ inches and live 15+ years with no health problems (read that as HITH).
20+ inches are you kidding?! That's huge

DuaneV
Ive had 3 get to 24 and NONE under 18. And Ive had 2 dozen that Ive raised to 10+ years with the oldest being 18.

!poogs!
75 too small.

125 to 150 minimum.

The biological load from this fish is huge. They produce a lot of waste. Recommend one FX6 and large hob.

Better if the tank is 24 inches by 6 feet. Oscars like a companion Oscar so size tank for 2.

They grow at a fast rate. And just because they stop growing on the outside, they appear to keep growing on the inside. I’ve seen some awful examples of these fish getting sick in habitats to small for them.

Nice choice. Gorgeous fish. The varieties are gorgeous.

Dawn Michele
Hello. I keep my Oscar Big Boy in a 125 by himself & he does just fine. He is over 12 inches. I use 2 Marineland Penguin 350 filters.I do 50% water changes every week. I feed him a good varied diet.

chromedome52
Ive had 3 get to 24 and NONE under 18. And Ive had 2 dozen that Ive raised to 10+ years with the oldest being 18.

Excuse me for being skeptical, but the largest I've ever seen an actual live Oscar was about 15-16 inches, and those were in a 25,000 gallon tank at a zoo with other large fish. Do you have any pictures of these exceptionally large Oscars lying on a yardstick or a tape measure? I'd have to see that to believe it. I have heard a lot of claims, but when the fish was actually measured, it mysteriously shrank to more average dimensions.

I will say that I have known people who grew other fish to giant size when compared to the normal size range of the species, so I believe it is possible. But it is also unreasonable to expect that to be the result for everyone who keeps the fish properly. People can get 7 feet tall, but not very many do so.

DuaneV
Photos prove nothing as they can be easily Photoshopped. And this is the internet, anyone can say anything, doesn't make it true. I know what Ive had for fish, and yes, my biggest one was measured when it passed so I know exactly how big it was. A 15-16 inch Oscar is not "big".

Preston Landolt
Photos prove nothing as they can be easily Photoshopped. And this is the internet, anyone can say anything, doesn't make it true. I know what Ive had for fish, and yes, my biggest one was measured when it passed so I know exactly how big it was. A 15-16 inch Oscar is not "big".
The average size I’ve found on various websites has been from 12 to 16 inches, 12-14 being most occurring. 24 inches is twice the average size.

!poogs!
World record caught on tackle. 15 inches.

Fanatic

I am sorry, never heard, seen, or had an oscar past fifteen inches.

Preston Landolt
I am sorry, never heard, seen, or had an oscar past fifteen inches.

The largest one I have seen was in a YouTube video. It was 16 1/2 inches

Fanatic
The largest one I have seen was in a YouTube video. It was 16 1/2 inches

Okay, that was just the biggest I have seen, there are probably some bigger ones

Bryangar
Soo...No picture?

Preston Landolt

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Preston Landolt
Replies
Views
JGombs99
Replies
Views
cpgarry