Will A 60 Gallon Acrylic Tank Make My Upstairs Bedroom Floor Collapse?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by CHAMELEON_BREEZE, Apr 20, 2019.

1. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

I live in a 2 story house that was built in 1990. I'm currently planning a 60 gallon acrylic Uniquarium FOWLR setup, which is acrylic. Will this tank be fine for my upstairs bedroom as long as I put it on the load bearing wall?

2. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You'd probably need to get professional advice (or your parents) about that to be absolutely sure but I'd guess that ~500 pounds (as long as you don't have an incredibly heavy stand and equipment and wood rot or termites haven't gotten to the joists) wouldn't be too heavy for a load bearing wall.

3. aussieJJDudeWell Known MemberMember

Have had larger tanks on a second floor house, built in the late 1930-40s, second story extension in the late 2000s.... no issues.

4. JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

Should be fine. If you were putting something like a 210 or larger I would be more concerned. Just be aware that acrylic tanks scratch more easily and you won't be able to use effective glass scrapers or magnetic scrubbers on them. I personally won't own one for this fact. I spend too much time scraping coraline algae off my glass to try and handle it with kid gloves.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
  5. CHAMELEON_BREEZEValued MemberMember

How would a 75 gallon glass tank do, too? Just in case the 60 gallon offer on Offerup disappears.

Maybe a 120 gallon? IDK.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  6. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

"Maybe a 120 gallon? IDK."
    Lol. Those are questions for your parents, landlord (if you're renting) or a structural engineer! A 125 gallon glass tank full of water weighs about a ton. That's like having a large pet horse standing in your room!