Will A 60 Gallon Acrylic Tank Make My Upstairs Bedroom Floor Collapse?

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Reaction score
I live in a 2 story house that was built in 1990. I'm currently planning a 60 gallon acrylic Uniquarium FOWLR setup, which is acrylic. Will this tank be fine for my upstairs bedroom as long as I put it on the load bearing wall?

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
I live in a 2 story house that was built in 1990. I'm currently planning a 60 gallon acrylic Uniquarium FOWLR setup, which is acrylic. Will this tank be fine for my upstairs bedroom as long as I put it on the load bearing wall?
You'd probably need to get professional advice (or your parents) about that to be absolutely sure but I'd guess that ~500 pounds (as long as you don't have an incredibly heavy stand and equipment and wood rot or termites haven't gotten to the joists) wouldn't be too heavy for a load bearing wall.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Have had larger tanks on a second floor house, built in the late 1930-40s, second story extension in the late 2000s.... no issues.

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
Should be fine. If you were putting something like a 210 or larger I would be more concerned. Just be aware that acrylic tanks scratch more easily and you won't be able to use effective glass scrapers or magnetic scrubbers on them. I personally won't own one for this fact. I spend too much time scraping coraline algae off my glass to try and handle it with kid gloves.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
"Maybe a 120 gallon? IDK."
Lol. Those are questions for your parents, landlord (if you're renting) or a structural engineer! A 125 gallon glass tank full of water weighs about a ton. That's like having a large pet horse standing in your room!

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom