Will A 48inch Finnex 24/7 Be Enought For A 4ft Tank?

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm planning to get a new 4ft by 20ft by 18ft tank, think about growing a mix of high light(HC etc.) and low light( maybe) plants. Do you think a single 24/7 would be enough for the tank? I see people with 2 sitting on their tanks sometimes, and I wonder if I need another one. Because I have a 24/7 and I had a ray2. By comparison, the 24/7 is really not that bright

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
I'm planning to get a new 4ft by 20ft by 18ft tank, think about growing a mix of high light(HC etc.) and low light( maybe) plants. Do you think a single 24/7 would be enough for the tank? I see people with 2 sitting on their tanks sometimes, and I wonder if I need another one. Because I have a 24/7 and I had a ray2. By comparison, the 24/7 is really not that bright
Sure you don't mean 20" by 18"!? Sounds like you're trying to light a swimming pool

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
Lol 4ft by 20” by 18” typo

Yea I’m planning to do so
Alright, from the dimensions sounds about like a 75 gallon. For a tank of this depth your best bet for high light plants is going to be the Ray2. I had one on a 46 bowfront that was around the same height and was carpeting dwarf baby tears with a Ray 2 and injected CO2.

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Alright, from the dimensions sounds about like a 75 gallon. For a tank of this depth your best bet for high light plants is going to be the Ray2. I had one on a 46 bowfront that was around the same height and was carpeting dwarf baby tears with a Ray 2 and injected CO2.
I've used Ray2 before. It grew algae for me like crazy and I returned it the next day. So I'm not quite sure about that. Maybe I'll dry start the HC?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
I've used Ray2 before. It grew algae for me like crazy and I returned it the next day. So I'm not quite sure about that. Maybe I'll dry start the HC?
Start off at 6 hours per day. Injected CO2 and regular fertilizer dosing such as EI dosing are an absolute must, as well as planting very heavily. My Ray2 grew everything wonderfully provided I was injecting enough CO2 and ferts every day (pretty much a requirement if you want a carpet, especially in a deep tank). Unfortunately, in your tank, anything less intense won't have the PAR to give high light carpeting plants what they need.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
You had algae because something was off balance - either the ferts or CO2. You wanted high light, and the Ray2 will give it to you. The 24/7 won't be high light.

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Start off at 6 hours per day. Injected CO2 and regular fertilizer dosing such as EI dosing are an absolute must, as well as planting very heavily. My Ray2 grew everything wonderfully provided I was injecting enough CO2 and ferts every day (pretty much a requirement if you want a carpet, especially in a deep tank). Unfortunately, in your tank, anything less intense won't have the PAR to give high light carpeting plants what they need.
Thank you for the advice Fahn, I'll give it another try

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
TexasDomer said:
You had algae because something was off balance - either the ferts or CO2. You wanted high light, and the Ray2 will give it to you. The 24/7 won't be high light.
yea you're right. I just don't have enough experience with high light tanks. Especially when it comes to ferts and co2 dosage

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
yea you're right. I just don't have enough experience with high light tanks. Especially when it comes to ferts and co2 dosage
That's what EI dosing is for, it slightly overdoses macro and micro nutrients to ensure you always have enough.

High light tanks are labor intensive and take a lot of maintenance in order to keep them orderly and clean-cut. All of my current tanks are medium and low light now because high light was constant dosing, measuring, trimming and water changes.

If you want to do a high light setup, I suggest trying out something smaller and more shallow like a 20 long. Easier to keep well lit, less maintenance, and less CO2 and fertilizers required. If I could start over, that is the tank size I would have tried high light on.

If you still want a "carpet", there are low-medium light options.

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
That's what EI dosing is for, it slightly overdoses macro and micro nutrients to ensure you always have enough.

High light tanks are labor intensive and take a lot of maintenance in order to keep them orderly and clean-cut. All of my current tanks are medium and low light now because high light was constant dosing, measuring, trimming and water changes.

If you want to do a high light setup, I suggest trying out something smaller and more shallow like a 20 long. Easier to keep well lit, less maintenance, and less CO2 and fertilizers required. If I could start over, that is the tank size I would have tried high light on.

If you still want a "carpet", there are low-medium light options.
I tried growing HC before with little success. Doing high light on a small tank actually makes a lot of sense, maybe I'll look into that. I'm planning to set up a tank for rainbows. Not going for iwagumi style, maybe HC is not the best choice aesthetically. What other carpeting foreground plant would you recommend? I think S. Repens would work?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
I tried growing HC before with little success. Doing high light on a small tank actually makes a lot of sense, maybe I'll look into that. I'm planning to set up a tank for rainbows. Not going for iwagumi style, maybe HC is not the best choice aesthetically. What other carpeting foreground plant would you recommend? I think S. Repens would work?
Most carpets will require CO2 and higher lighting. S. Repens grows tall and "leggy" under less than optimal conditions instead of low and compact. You can still carpet it, but you'd have to trim it constantly.

Marsilea crenata and Monte Carlo will carpet under medium light without CO2 provided they have a nutrient rich substrate, but like all carpets will grow more compact and dense with the addition of CO2.

Easiest "carpet" to get is with Dwarf Sag. It sends out runners that fill in over time and will grow in low lighting. However, under lower light it grows exceptionally tall. Mine is under low light and is over 8" tall. Higher light will keep it smaller and more compact.

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:
Most carpets will require CO2 and higher lighting. S. Repens grows tall and "leggy" under less than optimal conditions instead of low and compact. You can still carpet it, but you'd have to trim it constantly.

Marsilea crenata and Monte Carlo will carpet under medium light without CO2 provided they have a nutrient rich substrate, but like all carpets will grow more compact and dense with the addition of CO2.

Easiest "carpet" to get is with Dwarf Sag. It sends out runners that fill in over time and will grow in low lighting. However, under lower light it grows exceptionally tall. Mine is under low light and is over 8" tall. Higher light will keep it smaller and more compact.
I do intend on adding co2, and I do like the way S. Repens looks don't mind trimming it down if needed. And I do intend on putting some Dwarf Sags in the tank, they look nice and they're easy enough to take care of. I also want to have some red plant in the med/background and a Crinum calamistratum maybe

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
I do intend on adding co2, and I do like the way S. Repens looks don't mind trimming it down if needed. And I do intend on putting some Dwarf Sags in the tank, they look nice and they're easy enough to take care of. I also want to have some red plant in the med/background and a Crinum calamistratum maybe
If you don't mind the work go for it.

I really like Crinum thaianum, personally. Also a BIG fan of cryptocorynes. Crypt spiralis is probably my favorite aquarium plant.

Another idea for a carpet is micro-chain swords.

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fahn said:

I really like Crinum thaianum, personally. Also a BIG fan of cryptocorynes. Crypt spiralis is probably my favorite aquarium plant.

Fahn said:

I like to have a mix of plants in the tank, so I'll probably have a few kinds of foreground plants. That's a nice looking crypt, I hear that it sends out shooters like crazy

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
I like to have a mix of plants in the tank, so I'll probably have a few kinds of foreground plants. That's a nice looking crypt, I hear that it sends out shooters like crazy
My spiralis "grove" is on the left
IMG_20180328_111309.jpg

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
YummySashimi said:
That looks NICE and I bet it's easier to maintain than jungle vals. Did u got them like that or did u grow them to that height? Btw 40 breeder?
Tank is a 29 gallon.

I also have jungle vals in the tank, this picture is over a month old so they were still short. You can see the val by the filter intake (it arrived in horrible condition from the eBay seller and about half had to be thrown away).

I bought most of it when it was half that height or less. Over time they grew and filled out very nicely. Earlier this year I uprooted them all (they had massive root systems and runners at that point), split the rhizomes, and trimmed the roots, ended with with 3-4 times as many plants than I initially started with.

They are pretty hungry root feeders, though. Mine are in aquasoil and get Aquarium Co-op Easy Green twice a week, but I need to actually give them some root tabs next water change.

All of this with no CO2 and low lighting. All I do is water changes once a week, dose liquid ferts twice a week (having aquasoil really helps), and trim stem plants when needed.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom