Will a 10 gallon tank be big enough?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by littletuba, Dec 16, 2012.

1. littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

A couple of months ago I lost my betta Paul, now I am wanting to start up a new tank but I am not sure if the size I have in mind will be big enough. I am wanting to keep 3-4 guppies, 2-3 mickey mouse platys, several cherry shrimp, and some ghost shrimp all in one ten gallon tank. A ten gallon is the biggest my parents will let me have in my room. Will they be to cramped in that size of a tank? Please help.

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Drop the platies and you'll be good, i think. They are pretty active, and get larger than most people think.

3. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

Before you start planning on what you want to get you need to learn about the Nitrogen Cycle. It is crucial knowledge when keeping fish. Just click on the name and it should redirect you to a good write up on it.

Stock wise I think we can figure something out :). I wouldn't go for platies as they need a 30g+ because they get so big and produce so much waste. Cherry shrimp are an excellent idea! I wouldn't mix RCS and Ghosts though. They Ghosts will eat the RCS. You could go for a couple guppies or you could try a colony of Endlers. I prefer Endlers to guppies.

Jonathan

4. DianeCee

DianeCee Valued Member Member

I think if you do 2 platys (not 3), it will be fine if you have enough filtration and clean the tank often enough.

5. RogueAgent94

In a 10g? Platies get 4"+. Definitely not. A 10g would surely stunt them.

6. OP
    OP
    littletuba

littletuba New Member Member

Thank you everyone for you input. I will let you know what I decide on getting. I might be able to talk my parents into a bigger tank.

7. mrgso

mrgso Valued Member Member

Please read this whole post. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

Contrary to popular belief, the bigger the tank, the easier it is to take care of. I went through and lost about 10 guppies(if you dont count fry) starting up my first 10gallon tank.
    Things to know:
    1.RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH! Knowing about the nitrogen cycle, acclimating fish, regulating ph, etc. is a matter of life or death. Tanks will take about 2 months of running on their own before you can even put fish in. PLEASE look into everything before buying anything.
    2. know what you're getting into. There's no such thing as an easy pet whether you're trying to keep a lizard, fish, cat, hamster, etc. It's going to cost you a couple hundred bucks at least! That super hardy goldfish? They're good at surviving...but unless they're in in a cycled tank with 20 gallons per fish and twice a week water changes they will suffer through their lives. Same goes for bettas except they only need 5-10gallons and once a week water changes.
    3. Livebearers are hypersensitive to water conditions. If the ammonia's/nitrite's not 0 they will start slowly dying.
    4.You need to know how to acclimate fish to their new homes RIGHT! Temperature drops is not the main killer,ph changes are.
    5. Another thing about livebearers...(guppies, platies, mollies, etc. ) Once they are in good water they will breed like there's no tomorrow. Either dont put males and females together or have a plan for getting rid of babies. We started with 3 females and a male and a month later had over 30 fish in a 10gallon tank!!! 0_0

Good luck! You are starting off right by coming here. :)

8. orangeclumsy1

orangeclumsy1 Valued Member Member

I know littletuba IRL, so I'll teach her about the nitrogen cycle. ;) And she's thinking about trying to get a 20 long like I am.

9. RogueAgent94

A 20L is an excellent tank for guppies!! You could get quite a few in that tank.

10. orangeclumsy1

Yeah that's what I was thinking! We'll see how we can break her mom down for a 20 long. xD And she reeeally wants platies too, so they'd need at least the 20 long.

11. RogueAgent94

Eh.... even a 20L is too small for platies IMO.

12. orangeclumsy1

Really? I've always thought they'd be fine. I'm keeping some in mine soon. (When I get it xD) If they start to look unhealthy or stunted I'll be sure to rehome them.

13. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

The thing is, it's hard to tell when a fish starts getting stunted.

14. RogueAgent94

I agree. Very difficult to tell when they are stunted unless they are a large species of fish like Texas Cichlids. I wouldn't do it..

15. S

Skysong87 Valued Member Member

Rogue, I'm pretty sure you are thinking of swordtails. Platies only get to be about 2 inches.

In a 20g long you could definitely do a few Platies as well as the guppies.

16. RogueAgent94

Nope, Swordtails get even bigger! I threw a bunch of livebearers in a pond and a year later when I took them out most of the platies were just over the 4" mark. Mollies and Swords were absolutely massive.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice