will 48" light work on 72" tank

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by oscarsbud, Dec 2, 2012.

1. oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

I have a 150 gallon tank. It is 72" wide and 28" deep and has live plants. I want to get new lighting for it. My question is - if I get something like a 48" 216w T5HO lighting system, will it be enough to illuminate the tank properly. Or does the lighting need to go all the way across the top of the tank?

I looked for an anwer on here, but couldn't find one.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  2. f

featherblue Well Known Member Member

Plants not directly under the light will get little actual energy.....would limit the area withlow/medium light from fixture. U could decorate with that in mind, inches for great driftwood piece :)

3. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ideally your lighting should cover the entire length of the tank. This helps ensure an even distribution of light throughout the tank.

Cutting it short (so to speak) may result in darker areas, only suitable for lower light plants.

4. OP
    OP
    oscarsbud

oscarsbud Well Known Member Member

That's kind of what I was afraid of - especially when I realized I had put the tank size as a foot shorter than it actually is. I guess I will be going with 2 36" units.

Thanks for the quick replies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice