Wild Type Livebearer

1. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Hello fellow fishlorians!

I caught this fish in the same drying up ditch as the mosquitofish.

I’m thinking a wild type molly.
    @chromedome52

Attached Files:

2. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

i wish i could go catch my own fish lol, very cool you can do that. i live in ma. so im not even sure what fish could servive an aquarium.
    sorry not to answer the question (as have have no clue lol) but i think its very cool to be able to catch your own fish. i know theres alot of contoversy with wild caught vs tank breed, but i like the idea

3. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

The mosquitofish were just piled up in the ditch, and this fish was there as well. Here’s another pic.

The fish was just taken out of water for 5 seconds to get a super clear shot.

Attached Files:

4. Ms rose

not a bad looking little (free!!!) fish you havr there. nice find. you can mail me some hahaha

5. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

This is the only one I’ve caught. I can mail you some of the mosquitofish if you wanted some.

6. Ms rose

it does have some molly like charicteristics, its tail fin and body shape are that of a molly/liveberror

7. Ms rose

what would shipping cost from texas to massachussetts?

8. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I also know it’s a female.

It isn’t a sailfin though.

9. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I’ll see.

10. Ms rose

awesome, i would love to add some small fish to my community tank. ill go do some research on requirments and diet. but this is so fun/cool :)

11. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Actually, I searched up wild mollies, and it turns out that it’s actually a sailfin molly!

12. Ms rose

so from what i read these fish are strong, but is it true they are fin nippers? if so ill put them in their owm tex gallon tank. i love liveberrors ( im mispelling liveberrors i beleive but cant find proper spelling lol)

13. Ms rose

how cool. great find !!! very exciting

14. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a female Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna. Very large range on this species, from Carolinas to Vera Cruz Mexico, following the coast. Often inhabit the same waters as Gambusia.

15. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

Would it be fine to be housed with a swordtail, a Platy, some cherry barbs, and an angelfish?

The stocking is:
    8x cherry barb
    1x male swordtail
    1x female platy
    1x BN pleco(temporary)
    1x angelfish

16. chromedome52

I would be concerned about the male Swordtail, as he may be constantly trying to mate with her. While breeding is not possible, he is hardwired to pursue the largest female livebearer in his territory. It is triggered by her shape, but I couldn't say for certain that he would pursue. It's just a good possibility.

17. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

The male is pretty calm. He doesn't pursue the female red wag platy, but he might chase the female molly as it's bigger.

18. Mazeus

Mazeus Well Known Member Member

How interesting. PLease update with pictures in the aquarium. I bet she'll be beautiful.

19. OP
    OP
    75g Discus Tank

I've heard that mosquitofish could interbreed with mollies. Is this true?

20. chromedome52

Absolutely not. Total incompatibility, both functional and genetic.