Wild Type Livebearer

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
i wish i could go catch my own fish lol, very cool you can do that. i live in ma. so im not even sure what fish could servive an aquarium.
sorry not to answer the question (as have have no clue lol) but i think its very cool to be able to catch your own fish. i know theres alot of contoversy with wild caught vs tank breed, but i like the idea
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Ms rose said:
i wish i could go catch my own fish lol, very cool you can do that. i live in ma. so im not even sure what fish could servive an aquarium.
sorry not to answer the question (as have have no clue lol) but i think its very cool to be able to catch your own fish. i know theres alot of contoversy with wild caught vs tank breed, but i like the idea
The mosquitofish were just piled up in the ditch, and this fish was there as well. Here’s another pic.

The fish was just taken out of water for 5 seconds to get a super clear shot.
 

Attachments

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
not a bad looking little (free!!!) fish you havr there. nice find. you can mail me some hahaha
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
This is the only one I’ve caught. I can mail you some of the mosquitofish if you wanted some.
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
it does have some molly like charicteristics, its tail fin and body shape are that of a molly/liveberror
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
awesome, i would love to add some small fish to my community tank. ill go do some research on requirments and diet. but this is so fun/cool
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
Actually, I searched up wild mollies, and it turns out that it’s actually a sailfin molly!
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
so from what i read these fish are strong, but is it true they are fin nippers? if so ill put them in their owm tex gallon tank. i love liveberrors ( im mispelling liveberrors i beleive but cant find proper spelling lol)
 

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Messages
633
Reaction score
276
Points
63
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
Actually, I searched up wild mollies, and it turns out that it’s actually a sailfin molly!
how cool. great find !!! very exciting
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
4,343
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
It is a female Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna. Very large range on this species, from Carolinas to Vera Cruz Mexico, following the coast. Often inhabit the same waters as Gambusia.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
It is a female Sailfin Molly, Poecilia latipinna. Very large range on this species, from Carolinas to Vera Cruz Mexico, following the coast. Often inhabit the same waters as Gambusia.
Would it be fine to be housed with a swordtail, a Platy, some cherry barbs, and an angelfish?

The stocking is:
8x cherry barb
1x male swordtail
1x female platy
1x BN pleco(temporary)
1x angelfish
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
4,343
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
I would be concerned about the male Swordtail, as he may be constantly trying to mate with her. While breeding is not possible, he is hardwired to pursue the largest female livebearer in his territory. It is triggered by her shape, but I couldn't say for certain that he would pursue. It's just a good possibility.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Messages
4,501
Reaction score
2,099
Points
308
Experience
1 year
chromedome52 said:
I would be concerned about the male Swordtail, as he may be constantly trying to mate with her. While breeding is not possible, he is hardwired to pursue the largest female livebearer in his territory. It is triggered by her shape, but I couldn't say for certain that he would pursue. It's just a good possibility.
The male is pretty calm. He doesn't pursue the female red wag platy, but he might chase the female molly as it's bigger.
 

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Messages
6,555
Reaction score
4,343
Points
458
Experience
More than 10 years
75g Discus Tank said:
I've heard that mosquitofish could interbreed with mollies. Is this true?
Absolutely not. Total incompatibility, both functional and genetic.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom