wild snails?

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was over at my brother-in-laws house this weekend.  His yard backs up to a large pond/small lake.  There are clams and snails galore in the water.  I was picking out snails and empty shells for my step-daughter to look at, and found many that look like Mystery or Apple snails.  Would it be safe to keep snails from there in an aquarium?  After a quarentine period, of course, if you can truly quarentine snails....  My step-daughter really liked some of the snails, as they had very pretty shells, and wanted to take some home to add to her tank.  I told her to wait until I found out more.....

S.

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't think I would add them in with your fish as they could be carrying parasites or other germs your fish have no defense against. Maybe you could set up a small tank(5G)
for just the snails she found.
Carol

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
She already has a small tank at her mom's house. Her mom won't let her get any more fish, since the one she had died. I thought maybe a snail would be a better alternative. Of course, I could always buy her a small 5 gallon tank for her room here, and we could stock it with one or two of the prettier snails from the pond. There were some that were red and white striped that she really liked, and others that looked like little bluish rams horns......

Thanks for the advice, by the way. I personally think a small tank (or even a larger one) with just snails would be pretty. I love watching mine climb all over the tank, cautiously/suspiciously checking things out.

S.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom