Wild plants in home aquarium?

1. MysticWaters Initiate Member

Hi, well I hope I put this in the right place. Anyways, I was wondering if it would be possible to take wild plants from a pond/lake and put them in my aquarium. Can this be done? I'm somewhat new to live plants but I do know the basics. Any suggestions about which plants would be best is also helpful. I should mention that I live in New England... Thanks for you help in advance!

Hi! I'm new!

2. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

It can be done. My concern would be the introduction of "critters" into the tank.

3. MysticWaters Initiate Member

I have heard of putting collected plants into a bucket of 9 parts water and 1 part bleach for 2-3 minutes and then soaking in a dechlorinator for half an hour. Is this correct and would this get rid of all bacteria and parasites?

4. dcutl002 Well Known Member Member

If I used anything, it would be Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water. I am sure that bleach will work, but I am afraid of using it.

5. MysticWaters Initiate Member

Ok, I was nervous about using the bleach myself, I was worried about my fish gettting killed by the chemicals. When using the Hydrogen Peroxide would it be 9 parts water and 1 part Hydrogen Peroxide, or just Hydrogen Peroxide in a bucket? Also, how long would I leave the plants in there?

6. FishTank Maniacz Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry about the bleach. As long as you give em a rinse and use dechlorinator you'll be fine. I'm not sure about the hydrogen peroxide though.....

7. MysticWaters Initiate Member

ok, thanks for the help you two!

8. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

A bath in potassium permegrate would work as well. Some plants can be sensitive to bleach, though PP is also an oxidizer similar to bleach, I would take a small sample of the plant and try giving the sample a bath first and see if there are any direct effects on it so you dont ruin your plants.

I've also moved your thread to the aquarium plants section of the forum.

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Apart from the possibility of introducing disease into your tank, in many countries it's illegal to take flora from the wild.
    People might say oh it's only a few plants it won't hurt, but imagine if lots of local fishkeepers also decided to take plants from that same pond, there'd be a detrimental effect on the wildlife dependant on that pond.
    I know that's an extreme view but please Ieave wild flora & fauna where it belongs

10. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

11. FiscCyning Member Member

I've just been doing some extensive research on this for myself and it seems like the standard is to soak in 3% hydrogen peroxide (the concentration of most commercial bottles) for 5 minutes or in 1.5% (half H2O2 and half dechlorinated water) or weaker for 30 minutes. The 3% soak seems to be used with thick leafed plants like Anubias but do longer diluted dips for more delicate plants. Obviously try it with one plant first to make sure that particular species survives okay before dipping the rest.
    Coradee, I generally agree with not disrupting the ecosystem with wild harvesting, but there is the exception of invasive species. There are plants like Anacharis that are perfectly fine to remove from water bodies because they are foreign-introduced and end up disrupting the pond's ecosystem itself.

12. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I agree with you there, invasive species can & should be removed.
    Certain plants that were commonly sold for aquariums here have been banned to try & stop the spread of non native species

13. MysticWaters Initiate Member

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone! I've decided to hold off on wild plants for now, but I had planned to take invasive species to help the pond. Thanks again!