Wild-Picked plants in aquarium, yes or no?

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I decided to break out my old pedal boat and go for a ride on our backyard pond.
The pond is seasonal, disappearing for about a month in the very heat of summer than coming back once the first rains start. I usually add some cheap goldfish in there to eat the majority of the larve and was looking around to see if I could find any (I did, already nearly twice the size of when I put them in a few weeks ago) and came across a bunch of different plants.

I will include pictures of the plants (ignore the bright green of my boat).
Hopefully someone can tell me what some of these plants might be.
-Plant One
389DC914-02AC-422F-AEA1-D8FCC2417759.jpeg

8D39AE05-C938-4A28-A223-6AB7F807A53E.jpeg

-Plant Two
A02A6BD3-5CB5-4A99-A19D-BBC91878C538.jpeg

169A6C52-81F7-472C-8B11-0E605CDC4B43.jpeg

- Plant Three
59F18DC4-CB6A-4660-B438-1190DD18ADC8.jpeg
FC4F3CA5-8A6E-49BC-8BDD-ECCC880EDAD1.jpeg
(You can see it growing with some of plants two in this picture)

So here’s my questions:
1) does anyone know what types of plants
2) would they be okay in an aquarium?
3) how would I go about cleaning them to put in an aquarium? There is snails in the pond but I discarded all the plants with visible snail eggs.

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Oh! There was also some wild mint growing in the water.
BCBE8A8B-9697-467E-A270-BD04FC50ECF8.jpeg
C53FCF1B-6E96-4327-98AD-8F39AF70D94E.jpeg
8B33CCEF-1671-47BD-9BB0-5182D2137ED7.jpeg
Would it be okay to grow in an aquarium? I’ve heard of it being planted in ponds before, but not much on it being in an aquarium.
All these plants will be going in aquariums with guppies and betta fish. I’ve been wanting to convert all my tanks to planted for some time, but don’t have the funds. It would be wonderful if I could use my pond’s plants.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I say they would be a great addition to the tank! Just make sure to quarantine in a spare tank or jar for about a month with snails to be sure you aren't bringing any harmful organisms. ☺

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Be very wary of hitchhikers such as hydra, planaria, insect larvae/nymphs, nuisance algae, and disease causing organisms such as certain dinoflagellates or amoeba.

Definitely do a dip or quarantine before use.

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Fahn said:
Be very wary of hitchhikers such as hydra, planaria, insect larvae/nymphs, nuisance algae, and disease causing organisms such as certain dinoflagellates or amoeba.

Definitely do a dip or quarantine before use.
Would one month in a jar with a daily 100% water change do the trick?

I must admit I’ve never bleach dipped plants before, I’ll do some research on how to do it.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You could do a Minn Finn dip, it won't hurt any plants IME. I dont think you would need 100% water changes every day, maybe every other day, especially since plants purify the water, but whatever you think is best. :)

qldmick

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
i have used giant val from the wild in my tank, i didn't worry to much about pests as i was already using feeders (the the noxious mosquito fish) from the wild.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Plant 2 looks like hornwort. I might be wrong though.

I agree hitchikers will be hard to avoid without dipping or quarantining. I wouldn't trust the plants by sight alone. They may appear "clean," but somehow, something always hitchikes unseen. I'm talking from experience, except I didn't really care, as none were harmful. But people's tolerances vary.

Btw, I'm a bit amused by you using a boat in heel deep water :D

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
scarface said:

I agree hitchikers will be hard to avoid without dipping or quarantining. I wouldn't trust the plants by sight alone. They may appear "clean," but somehow, something always hitchikes unseen. I'm talking from experience, except I didn't really care, as none were harmful. But people's tolerances vary.

I ended up with hydra, planaria, and aphids from wild-sourced salvinia. To remove the aphids I had to manually remove them with tweezers until they stopped appearing, and had to resort to dog dewormer to kill off the hydra and planaria in my crystal red tank.

Lesson learned, no more wild plants without a prerequisite dip.

OP
AquaCaitlin

AquaCaitlin

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I also found what appears to be red water fern, the only plant I’ve been able to identify.
04E7C601-2650-450D-A160-ED0FD066BE51.jpeg
Really nice floating plant, and a little baby snail decided to tag along. Since I’m a softie and the snail was so cute I gave it a little container for now.

scarface said:

Hehe the pond is about 18 feet deep in the center, and my rain boots are broken so I was trying to avoid wet socks.

Upon further investigation I believe plants two and three are the same, but “plant three” is a younger stage of plant two.

New Threads