Wild "not-aquarium" Idea.

CHAMELEON_BREEZE

Reaction score
I'm wondering if you can go to a beach or to the ocean (I live in Hawaii), pile up a bunch of rocks underwater, and then introduce fish there. That's an idea for the "Not-Aquarium."

Ape

Reaction score
CHAMELEON_BREEZE said:
I'm wondering if you can go to a beach or to the ocean (I live in Hawaii), pile up a bunch of rocks underwater, and then introduce fish there. That's an idea for the "Not-Aquarium."
I need some of that weed you guys are getting in HawaiI

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It's already been done. Man-made reefs and other artificial structures are purposefully added to attract and build ecosystems for fish and other marine life. Even oil rigs are unpurposeful fish attractants.

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oohhh, currently holidaying in Hawaii!

I would just introduce native fish to the area like humuhumunukunukuapua'a (sorry, just wanted to type it out... ) would be better than non-native fish which could go feral and become pests.

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yup, that would work and it is done all the time.

They do it with shipwrecks, rocks, and coral all the time. You don't even need to introduce fish there, they'll find it.

Just about every shipwreck divers dive was intentionally sunken to create a fish haven for divers.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When we used to rent beach houses way back in the day in Rhode Island we used to put cover crushed mussels or a filleted fish or squid under piles of rocks during low tide and come back when the tide changed again and it would be loaded with crabs and even an occasional lobster under there. Great bait for big Tautog the green crabs.. The lobsters we would put back in they were usually only the size of an extra large crayfish

Jesterrace

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Should work just fine. Certainly would save you money. Honestly if I lived in HawaiI I don't think I would have an aquarium when I can have a massive cost and maintenance free one that I can see within a few minutes of my house.

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
aussieJJDude said:
Oohhh, currently holidaying in Hawaii!

I would just introduce native fish to the area like humuhumunukunukuapua'a (sorry, just wanted to type it out... ) would be better than non-native fish which could go feral and become pests.
Wait! So you went from one island to vacation on another!?

ystrout

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jesterrace said:
Should work just fine. Certainly would save you money. Honestly if I lived in HawaiI I don't think I would have an aquarium when I can have a massive cost and maintenance free one that I can see within a few minutes of my house.
Trust me, you still would . The addiction actually gets worse and more expensive!

Most weekends in the spring and summer my fiancé and I scuba dive and make friends with California sheephead and calico bass. What do we do as soon as we finish diving? Talk about our next tank and getting into saltwater so we can have tuskfish and chalk bass (basically tropical sheephead and calico bass).

The two hobbies feed off each other! Lol. It makes me appreciate my fish so much more. Although it also makes me want more and more of them haha.

Attachments

aussieJJDude

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
AJE said:
Wait! So you went from one island to vacation on another!?
Yeah. Pretty much living on Australia you're kinda guaranteed that when travelling overseas to an island..... but I live in a part that's not tropical, and holidayed in an island that is.

New Threads