Wild Molly!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by riptide904, Nov 25, 2012.

1. riptide904Valued MemberMember

My nine year old cousin visited this weekend and brought a jar with a little dalmatian spotted molly in it. He caught it in a ditch at a campground with a pool net! I never even knew there were mollies in Florida, much less dalmatian ones. Now I have the young fishy in QT to join the tropicals, but have any of you seen any strange fish in your area?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Sure there are mlies in Florida! All the way into Mexico, too. They're natives :;th Wild Dalmatians are rare. This one you have could be a mix of wild and domestic.

3. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Nice find!! Congrats on the new molly :)

4. tunastrack

tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

WOW! I would love to see a picture of your new find! Please be cautious of internal parasites. A lot of wild bred fishes have them! Esp nemotodes!

5. OP
    OP
    r

riptide904Valued MemberMember

Yeah, when we visited them he showed me the ditch and it was crawling with yellow-y fish I think are sailfin mollies. He was the only dalmatian found, so I don't know how he got there! I only have my cell charged, so the pics aren't very clear, but you get the idea. He's a bit longer than my fingernail. 121127_009[1].jpg121127_008[1].jpg121127_002[1].jpg

6. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

Sounds like you found a population of domestic fish that someone released. He's pretty cute though lol this is what a wild Molly looks like.

7. OP
    OP
    r

riptide904Valued MemberMember

They all looked like that except the ones with dark patches.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice