Wild Molly!

1. r

riptide904 Valued Member Member

My nine year old cousin visited this weekend and brought a jar with a little dalmatian spotted molly in it. He caught it in a ditch at a campground with a pool net! I never even knew there were mollies in Florida, much less dalmatian ones. Now I have the young fishy in QT to join the tropicals, but have any of you seen any strange fish in your area?

2. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sure there are mlies in Florida! All the way into Mexico, too. They're natives :;th Wild Dalmatians are rare. This one you have could be a mix of wild and domestic.

3. Tonia

Tonia Well Known Member Member

Nice find!! Congrats on the new molly :)

4. tunastrack

tunastrack Well Known Member Member

WOW! I would love to see a picture of your new find! Please be cautious of internal parasites. A lot of wild bred fishes have them! Esp nemotodes!

5. OP
    OP
    r

Yeah, when we visited them he showed me the ditch and it was crawling with yellow-y fish I think are sailfin mollies. He was the only dalmatian found, so I don't know how he got there! I only have my cell charged, so the pics aren't very clear, but you get the idea. He's a bit longer than my fingernail. 121127_009[1].jpg 121127_008[1].jpg 121127_002[1].jpg

6. Akari_32

Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Sounds like you found a population of domestic fish that someone released. He's pretty cute though lol this is what a wild Molly looks like.

7. OP
    OP
    r

They all looked like that except the ones with dark patches.