Wild Minnow ID

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I’ve been curious about what kind of minnows there are in the creek (and sometimes I find them in the pond) on my property. I snatched one out long enough to grab a picture. My first thought was a gold shiner, but looking over pictures of actual gold shiners, I’m not so sure. Maybe an emerald shiner? ( ) But those prefer deeper waters and like rivers apparently, not shallow creeks
I was trying to ID based off the DEC’s list of common minnows in NY:
So I can definitly be wrong, and I’m sure they don’t have them all listed here. These may also be juveniles of something else, but I’m pretty sure they’re minnows

506BA2FC-B4D9-4777-ACA4-D10486132ACC.jpeg

95778764-34B6-464A-AAD3-1A15C9AFAC03.jpeg

0B9CD74A-F2C6-4147-BBE9-E9AB0C66F38A.jpeg

4CF2516C-37A3-415C-BBD2-EE983E5527A9.jpeg

They’re definitely gold in color, and they hang out in schools in the calmer parts of the creek. I don’t find them in the pond often, but when I do they’re hanging out in the shallows. This guy was ~2 inches long

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'd say it's probably an emerald. Definitely not a golden.
Where are you located, if I may be so bold? Your location would probably help in determining the exact species.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sulucanaC said:
I'd say it's probably an emerald. Definitely not a golden.
Where are you located, if I may be so bold? Your location would probably help in determining the exact species.
NY! I guess I didn’t really make it clear enough, but I linked the DEC’s page of common minnows, sorry. The finger lakes region - kinda a ways below Seneca lake

Cheesecake

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Dewclaw83 said:
NY! I guess I didn’t really make it clear enough, but I linked the DEC’s page of common minnows, sorry. The finger lakes region - kinda a ways below Seneca lake
Oh haha. I kinda skimmed over your original post and I guess I missed that part.
Based on that list, I think it's definitely an emerald shiner.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
sulucanaC said:
Oh haha. I kinda skimmed over your original post and I guess I missed that part.
Based on that list, I think it's definitely an emerald shiner.
Awesome - thanks a ton!!

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I'm toying with setting up a 10g with local minnows and went to the Iowa DNR website. So many cute minnows and so much information.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Just be aware if they are jumpers you need a good covering. fiberglass screen mesh works well as it can be cut around tubing et all and it is quite inexpensive.

juniperlea said:
I'm toying with setting up a 10g with local minnows and went to the Iowa DNR website. So many cute minnows and so much information.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
juniperlea said:
Ikr, minnows are surprisingly cute!! If you do, totally share some pics!

jake37 said:
Just be aware if they are jumpers you need a good covering. fiberglass screen mesh works well as it can be cut around tubing et all and it is quite inexpensive.
Saran Wrap works too as a cheap top!

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A 10 gallon tank would be too small. Think of them as big Danios; would you put a school of 2 to 3 inch Danios in a 10? Probably not. I'd say a long 20 minimum.

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
chromedome52 said:
A 10 gallon tank would be too small. Think of them as big Danios; would you put a school of 2 to 3 inch Danios in a 10? Probably not. I'd say a long 20 minimum.
It probably depends on what kind of minnows they have around them tho

Danny002

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
juniperlea said:
Just make sure to check your laws before removing any wildlife from local waterways! You don't want to find yourself in any sort of trouble.

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Danny002 said:
Just make sure to check your laws before removing any wildlife from local waterways! You don't want to find yourself in any sort of trouble.
I would never try this without approaching the DNR guy that I spot now and then around town! I'm waiting to 'catch' him! Not easy, because I don't want to be labeled as a 'stalker' ! :D

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
juniperlea said:
I would never try this without approaching the DNR guy that I spot now and then around town! I'm waiting to 'catch' him! Not easy, because I don't want to be labeled as a 'stalker' ! :D
I just emailed my state’s DEC and was like, “if I did these things, is that legal? I can’t find anything on your website to save my life” :hilarious:
And they were like “Yeah if you have a permit and don’t put things back” lol

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Is a permit like a fishing license ;) Hey i went fishing look what i caught !

OP
Dewclaw83

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
jake37 said:
Is a permit like a fishing license ;) Hey i went fishing look what i caught !
Permit, license, whatever lol - I don’t actually need one
6399DA68-D273-4FBD-96C9-B8002468176E.jpeg

Ninth generation on my farm ;) :p

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
Dewclaw83 said:
I just emailed my state’s DEC and was like, “if I did these things, is that legal? I can’t find anything on your website to save my life” :hilarious:
And they were like “Yeah if you have a permit and don’t put things back” lol
Go to a nano town, that contains a dollar (general) store, then you'll find a dnr representative desperately seeking..... It has to be a Nano Town. That's the only way. I've been eye-balling a dnr representative for months..... to afraid to breach the topic...... :D

New Threads