Wild-life photos

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
They are very beautiful birds, but are very noisy and make a loud 'squawk' sound. I love to watch them, but don't enjoy listening to them at 5am LOL :)

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
We have a group of peacocks where I live, they do belong to someone but they seem to think our whole village is theirs & wander quite freely.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Wow, that's neat! It's always fascinating to me that the way different types of animals are 'kept' (or not) varies from place to place. What is a pet in one place roams wild in another, or is eaten :eek:

The only place I've ever seen a peacock is at a zoo!

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algonquin said:
Wow, that's neat! It's always fascinating to me that the way different types of animals are 'kept' (or not) varies from place to place. What is a pet in one place roams wild in another, or is eaten :eek:

I remember sitting in science class in seventh grade, having just moved to North Carolina from Michigan, and a flock of guinea fowl went strolling by the window. Suddenly my teacher was snapping at me, "What?!?! Ain't you ever seen guineas before?"
um,,,no....lol

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have to admit, I had to google Guinea Fowl. I'm familiar with Guinea Pig, but apparently that's not quite the same thing LOL

We have wild Turkeys here - they look somewhat similar to Guinea Fowl. Big and scary, IMO! I wouldn't want to upset one of those things.
20191105_152837_resized.jpg

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Algonquin said:
They are very beautiful birds, but are very noisy and make a loud 'squawk' sound. I love to watch them, but don't enjoy listening to them at 5am LOL :)
That's a sure thing your blue Jay has in common with my friends, then: a very unelegant sound. They seem to belong to the crow family, kind of commoners of the bird world. Their sound to confirm it.
Now I realise "my" Eurasian jays have not been around much. Some ten days ago I still heard them in the tree.
Two days ago very early in the morning (3 a.m.) I heard birds singing in the trees - not nightingales, mind you.
This behavior has been observed already years ago among birds living in cities.
But this is no city. Wonders of nature...

Magicpenny75 said:
I remember sitting in science class in seventh grade, having just moved to North Carolina from Michigan, and a flock of guinea fowl went strolling by the window. Suddenly my teacher was snapping at me, "What?!?! Ain't you ever seen guineas before?"
um,,,no....lol
Some people - even women - are too coarse to teach children.
After half a century I still remember how in second grade the teacher of the first grade - which was literally nextdoor and communicated with our classroom through a door - literally grabbed me by my hair and forcefully shook me back and forth in front of her tiny pupils, because after gymnastics I entered my classroom singing. I can still feel the pain.
Too small and too well-behaved to react, I did not even dare to tell my mummy what the rich old spinster did to me. Had I done so, the woman would have gone through the rest of her life visibly scarred.

FishGirly said:
I found this little guy outside my house. Probably someone’s lost pet? I don’t know. He left but I have no clue where he came from.
Once, when coming back from a visit to the Huntington Gardens near L.A. there was a peacock male (with a mini-harem of two) mirroring himself in the shiny bumper of a pickup in the parking lot. What a sight.

Algonquin said:
I do not know if they still keep up the tradition (which is very likely, though), but a few decades ago there were still peacocks walking around freely in a historic park in Warsaw. They even had a role in an important literary work (a poem?) or a famous song (forgot which).
I actually have seen them when we made an excursion to Warsaw.

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
These are just a few... tell me if you want more...
Frodo the mocking bird chick. Does my dog count? He’s a Carolina dog mix ( American wild dog) he has a sister but I don’t have any good pics of her.

Attachments

Cold&warm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
DIYbetta said:
These are just a few... tell me if you want more...
Frodo the mocking bird chick. Does my dog count? He’s a Carolina dog mix ( American wild dog) he has a sister but I don’t have any good pics of her.
I vote for more. Beautiful pictures - lovely dog... What is his name-Dogo?

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Algonquin said:
Have to admit, I had to google Guinea Fowl. I'm familiar with Guinea Pig, but apparently that's not quite the same thing LOL

We have wild Turkeys here - they look somewhat similar to Guinea Fowl. Big and scary, IMO! I wouldn't want to upset one of those things.
View attachment 633446
NC has a lot of wild turkeys as well. People "keep" guineas here because one of their favorite foods is ticks, which we also have a horrid amount of. Same for peafowl...lots of folks keep those here as well. Guineas are worse to have around than ticks in my opinion. They are loud - much louder than a rooster. They're good watchdogs too. They're the first to send up an alarm when someone drives in your driveway.

DIYbetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
His name is Lenerd and his sister is Penny (from the Big Bang theory). The bottom one is Penny and Lenerd snuggling on their favorite unicorn pillow.

Attachments

FishGirly

Valued Member
Reaction score
Algonquin said:
A pet peacock???o_O Where do you live?
In Miami lol
But for some reason we see wild peacocks every once in a while. Not sure where they come from. There are no forest or farmlands where I live so I’m assuming it has to have been someone who has them as pets or something.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom