Wild-life photos - Page 36

Littlebudda

Baby eastern water dragon

Tez

Gypsy13

I’m not sure how good the pics are but this little beauty was trying to keep warm under a rock at the frog pond. Had to get pics so someone could make sure it wasn’t poisonous. It’s not so it got to stay by the frog pond. If it had of been we’d either take it to an uninhabited area or be too busy thinking how precious it was and just let it go.

Ipman37

Gypsy13 said:
I’m not sure how good the pics are but this little beauty was trying to keep warm under a rock at the frog pond. Had to get pics so someone could make sure it wasn’t poisonous. It’s not so it got to stay by the frog pond. If it had of been we’d either take it to an uninhabited area or be too busy thinking how precious it was and just let it go.
Love the water snakes it’s always amazing to see how much they really resemble the cottonmouth!

Littlebudda

I think I have to go out this weekend and get some more nature shots.

Littlebudda

Found one that I hadn’t posted not my best shot but it’s ok

Gypsy13

Littlebudda said:
Found one that I hadn’t posted not my best shot but it’s ok
Woke hubby. Love love love reptiles. Poor hubby can’t tell a toad from a goat. From his description I’m assuming this is a tree frog

Littlebudda

Eastern banjo frog and as much as I love them they keep me awake all night

Gypsy13

Littlebudda said:
‘I’ve got a frog pond under my bedroom window. Hubby gets disgusted with all the different chirps, tweets, trills and other frog song. But oh the bullfrogs! I love it all. He thinks I should let him get a gigger. Not. If you get the chance can you do a video to post with sound?

Littlebudda

Will try and get one tonight it sounds like a single pluck of a low banjo string. I love my ponds so it’s something I have to deal with

Gypsy13

Littlebudda said:
I just listened to the pobblebonk! I loved it. Especially the larger groups. Sounds like talking. Whoo Hoo!

Littlebudda

That’s the one I will still try and get a recording tonight, about to take my daughter to the hospital so depends how long that takes

Amazoniantanklvr

Littlebudda said:
That’s the one I will still try and get a recording tonight, about to take my daughter to the hospital so depends how long that takes
What happened to her?

Littlebudda

She has developed orbital cellulitis so needs antibiotics delivered intravenously

Amazoniantanklvr

Littlebudda said:
She has developed orbital cellulitis so needs antibiotics delivered intravenously
Oh, I'm sorry. I hope she gets better!

Littlebudda

She’ll be right she’s a tough kid she has gone through a lot in 24months this is just another hurdle

DoubleDutch

Salamander

kallililly1973

DoubleDutch said:
Salamander
Wow!!! Those are so awesome to see and catch growing up. Salamanders and Newts right? Similar species or Could we once keep newts in a fishtank?

Dave125g

Had a herd of whitetail deer on the front lawn. Think there was still 2 by the time I got the phone out my pocket. Lol

Redshark1

A big oak came down in the wood during storm Ciara. This fungus known as Witches' Butter Exidia glandulosa was growing on a few of the branches.

I can report that it's not any good on toast!

No doubt this branch was dead but I'm not sure this particular fungus helped the tree's demise. Much of the trunk wood was softened by decay however.

Redshark1

DoubleDutch

Redshark1 said:
Smooth Newt Lissotriton vulgaris?
Not familiar with the name "Newt" hahahaha. Learned something today.

Algonquin

This little guy was on our tent last summer Apparently an "Eastern Red-backed Salamander". Love that iNaturalist app!

Dave125g

DoubleDutch said:
Newt and salamander are common names for those creepy crawlies in my neck of the woods regardless of species. Lol

Algonquin

Sadly, some of these cool little guys are endangered or at risk in my area, due to habitat loss

DoubleDutch

Dave125g said:
Newt and salamander are common names for those creepy crawlies in my neck of the woods regardless of species. Lol
Friend found these in his pond

Redshark1

DoubleDutch said:
There is a phrase in the English language "**** as a newt" which means "very drunk (intoxicated with alcohol)" haha!

We don't use the word Salamander for our Caudata here. Only the word Newt. Newts are in a sub-order of Salamanders.

Webbed hind feet are a characteristic of the Palmate Newt, our smallest newt.

DoubleDutch

Redshark1 said:
There is a phrase in the English language "**** as a newt" which means "very drunk (intoxicated with alcohol)" haha!

We don't use the word Salamander for our Caudata here. Only the word Newt. Newts are in a sub-order of Salamanders.

Webbed hind feet are a characteristic of the Palmate Newt, our smallest newt.
Thanks for explaining Steve.

Think there is any resemblance in the way of walking of both "Newts" hahahaha

Mongo75

This hummingbird mama set up her nest about 3 feet from the front door. It was really fun watching her brood grow and develop.

JDWebb01

Well, say hello to a couple primates...

Canon 7D MKII, Tamron 100-400 lens.

JDWebb01

And then there was this guy...

Littlebudda

making sweet butterfly bacon.

Elkwatcher

JDWebb01 said:
Well, say hello to a couple primates...

Canon 7D MKII, Tamron 100-400 lens.

Such a maternal photo, it's beautiful! JDWebb01

Sputnik

Algonquin

Oh I adore foxes... so beautiful, and rarely show themselves. Thanks for posting that pic Sputnik !

SnookusFish

Grey heron on the opposite bank

Sputnik

Algonquin said:
Oh I adore foxes... so beautiful, and rarely show themselves. Thanks for posting that pic Sputnik !
Me too- it was magical!

Algonquin

A couple of visitors on my porch

Elkwatcher

Algonquin said:
A couple of visitors on my porch
So wonderful to have during this time!

Algonquin

Elkwatcher said:
So wonderful to have during this time!
Absolutely. I've been putting out a variety of seeds & nuts for the birds/chipmunks/squirrels - and enjoying watching them do their thing We've got a pair of robins nesting in a big fir tree in our front yard, so we're loving observing them - collecting nest materials, watching for predators, and taking baths in the bird bath.

Sputnik

I absolutely love chipmunks- squirrels too - even though they get the lions share of the birdseed!

The_fishy

Carolina Wren nest

Pescado_Verde

This guy walked right up to me, like HE owned the place!

86 ssinit

Found this little guy sleeping behind some wood I was about to throw away.

Pescado_Verde

Living in an apartment (UK flat) there's not much in the way of wildlife so I got creative. I hope the property management company doesn't object to my little addition to their swimming pool enclosure. It's not likely that the pool will see much use this year so hopefully they'll allow me this small luxury! I suspect my photos are going to be somewhat repetitive using the feeder but oh well, we take what we can get. Game. On.

86 ssinit

Got a call from my son today. Said there’s a bald eagle nesting on the island.
I saw 4 different bald eagles today and I think an osprey.

Pescado_Verde

I had no idea how much food birds could eat in a day, lol. Feeder supposedly holds around 3 pounds. Of course that depends on what you put in it but roughly 3 pounds. They pretty much emptied it in a day and a half. Oof. I bought the first bag at the grocery story. Next bag is coming from Tractor Supply. I can get 6-7 times as much for about the same price buying it there in bulk. Anyway, first day brought in the usual sparrows but also some dove, Mockingbirds and Cardinals. Not bad.

Pescado_Verde

Finally got a decent shot of one in flight. Depth of field is so shallow up close that it's hard not to get something a bit fuzzy.

Sputnik

Pescado_Verde said:
Finally got a decent shot of one in flight. Depth of field is so shallow up close that it's hard not to get something a bit fuzzy.

Thats great shot!

jake37

No pictures - well i could post them i guess but we have some beavers and a flock of turkey around here along with the usual blue hearing and owls. Why no picture - well they are phone pictures because i usually carry my phone with me so they aren't that great. Hum. Oh well. i have a picture in my head - isn't that good enough ?

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom