Wild-life photos - Page 34

Cold&warm

Momgoose56 said:
He was only about 3 feet long.
That's about the maximum lenght of the snakes we've got here ...

Elkwatcher

Cold&warm said:
Isn't there a risk to get so close to them, even outside the mating-season?
They're not just little doggies which at most can bark at you.
And they must be awfully fast and their antlers frightfully sharp.
Cold&warm Hello Cold&Warm, the elk are treated like wild animals by myself, all photo's are taken with telephoto lens. The elk never know I'm near unless I alert them with a whistle to get them to turn my way. Many new residents here treat our wildlife like pets, feeding them, taking selfies, poking them when their down. This puts them at risk of being poached or becoming tame enough to walk up to hunters. Here the Roosevelt Elk herds are protected, any hunting is done by lottery as they only release a few bulls every year.

In all honesty Elk are more docile than horses, slow creatures. But they do stampede in groups. I was fortunate enough to view a herd being chased down the road by their bull at full speed, it was quite a sight to see and one does not want to be in the way! I have had 2 bulls "rutting" in front of the house, going at each other with antlers locked until one is hurt or gives up and limps away. Hard to watch when it's a younger and an older Elk fighting for the right to be King, but it's mother nature at her best. Cheers

Cold&warm

Thank you for the reassuring and instructive reply.
I have noticed more than once lately that I worry that young(er) people may not see risks they are exposed to.
Most likely a phenomenon an ageing adult has to go through and come to terms with.

My fears, however, were inspired by what I heard as a kid, I must have been between 6 and 8 years old.
I then lived on the coast of the country of wind mills, tulips and wooden shoes.
Our neighbors had gone to live eastwards, in a beautiful area with woods and wildlife.
The father, I guess some 20 years older than you are, one day had the idea to get out of his car to have a closer look at a deer. The bull attacked.
I heard it when the daughter told it to my mum.

My cousin from Florida came to visit me and to bring me a Smartphone with WhatsApp. Thus from a technological point of view I have made an enormous leap forward: from the stone age to the modern era.
Obviously the Moto has a (very good) in-built camera (still have to find out how it works).
Thus I finally am able to contribute to this thread. The only wildlife I can think of, though, is ants, lizards and geckos.
They are not around anymore, it is getting cold.

BTW, did you make the black-and-white picture too?
It seems to breathe a completely different atmosphere ...

Elkwatcher

Cold&warm said:
Thank you for the reassuring and instructive reply.
I have noticed more than once lately that I worry that young(er) people may not see risks they are exposed to.
Most likely a phenomenon an ageing adult has to go through and come to terms with.

My fears, however, were inspired by what I heard as a kid, I must have been between 6 and 8 years old.
I then lived on the coast of the country of wind mills, tulips and wooden shoes.
Our neighbors had gone to live eastwards, in a beautiful area with woods and wildlife.
The father, I guess some 20 years older than you are, one day had the idea to get out of his car to have a closer look at a deer. The bull attacked.
I heard it when the daughter told it to my mum.

My cousin from Florida came to visit me and to bring me a Smartphone with WhatsApp. Thus from a technological point of view I have made an enormous leap forward: from the stone age to the modern era.
Obviously the Moto has a (very good) in-built camera (still have to find out how it works).
Thus I finally am able to contribute to this thread. The only wildlife I can think of, though, is ants, lizards and geckos.
They are not around anymore, it is getting cold.

BTW, did you make the black-and-white picture too?
It seems to breathe a completely different atmosphere ...
The phones have wonderful camera's in them now. I am a dumb person with a smartphone... have a love/hate relationship with it! Technology is not for me, it has it's pro's and con's but I would rather live off grid simple with less!

Cold&warm

Elkwatcher said:
The phones have wonderful camera's in them now. I am a dumb person with a smartphone... have a love/hate relationship with it! Technology is not for me, it has it's pro's and con's but I would rather live off grid simple with less!
I thought the pictures in this thread were all made with smartphones.
But you talk about tele(photo) lenses.
That is a little more expensive - and cumbersome - than a smartphone received as a gift.

Algonquin

This beautiful guy was having some breakfast on my porch yesterday

Cold&warm

Algonquin said:

He looks - especially because of his colors - very much like a distant relative of a micro-colony of birds (2, 3 couples?) we have here.
Still have to find out how to upload them pictures from the smartphone to my computer. Then you could compare.
Our birds here have longer tails and are (much) larger than a dove.
What is the scientific name of your visitor? I'd like to wikI him up.

Algonquin

He's a Blue Jay. Scientific name is Cyanocitta Cristata.
Cold&warm I'd love to see your 'version'!

Cold&warm

It will take a little while for the pictures to be made, for I promised my cousin solemnly not to use the camera of my smartphone outside until she had sent me a protective cover for it.
That is no exaggerated precaution: it already has slipped out of my hands quite a number of times.
Fortunately, that was always in the "safe" environment of my car or over the table of my living-room and therefore this sleekly designed marvel of technology is still in one piece .

I did some wiki-ing: I have the impression that your guest and my neighbors are related.
Your little friend in my mother tongue is called a "blauwe gaai": Blauwe gaaI - Wikipedia .
My present neighbors go in Holland by the name of "vlaamse gaai"(means something like "flemish bird"). I still remember the one(s) who would distract us in 4th grade, when they came out of the woods behind our elementary school GaaI - Wikipedia .

The article of the Italian wikI gives a good idea of the difference in appearence of the bird in different places of the world: Garrulus glandarius - Wikipedia.
In case you have always remained at your side of the Atlantic, here is some additional info to the Italian captions.
Hamois: in Belgium
Brema (Bremen): in Northern Germany
Bussum: in the Netherlands (Holland)
Lodz: in (Central) Poland
Polonia: Italian for Poland
Leszno: in (Eastern-Central) Poland. If I am not mistaken, the name Les-z-no is related to "las" (woods) - where birds live...
Adana: in Southern Turkey
Bergogno: in Switzerland - in the canton of Graubünden
Gerusalemme: Italian for Jerusalem

Galizia: Galicia (Spain)
La Salle: in (extreme) North-West of Italy (Valle d'Aosta)
Silifke: in Southern Turkey
Antipatride: archeaological site in central Israel
T(r)ongsa: in Bhutan
Fukushima: in Japan
Chiayi: in/on Taiwan
Chamoli: in extreme North of India

Caption to the last picture:
..." presunta sottospecie lusitanicum." Stuffed specimen of the presumed sub-species lusitanicum - from Lusitania, the Latin name for Portugal ...

DoubleDutch

Algonquin said:

These are awesome pics of an awesome bird

Algonquin

They are very beautiful birds, but are very noisy and make a loud 'squawk' sound. I love to watch them, but don't enjoy listening to them at 5am LOL

Bluebellie

I found this little guy outside my house. Probably someone’s lost pet? I don’t know. He left but I have no clue where he came from.

Algonquin

A pet peacock??? Where do you live?

Coradee

We have a group of peacocks where I live, they do belong to someone but they seem to think our whole village is theirs & wander quite freely.

Algonquin

Wow, that's neat! It's always fascinating to me that the way different types of animals are 'kept' (or not) varies from place to place. What is a pet in one place roams wild in another, or is eaten

The only place I've ever seen a peacock is at a zoo!

MomeWrath

Algonquin said:
Wow, that's neat! It's always fascinating to me that the way different types of animals are 'kept' (or not) varies from place to place. What is a pet in one place roams wild in another, or is eaten

I remember sitting in science class in seventh grade, having just moved to North Carolina from Michigan, and a flock of guinea fowl went strolling by the window. Suddenly my teacher was snapping at me, "What?!?! Ain't you ever seen guineas before?"
um,,,no....lol

Algonquin

Have to admit, I had to google Guinea Fowl. I'm familiar with Guinea Pig, but apparently that's not quite the same thing LOL

We have wild Turkeys here - they look somewhat similar to Guinea Fowl. Big and scary, IMO! I wouldn't want to upset one of those things.

Cold&warm

Algonquin said:
They are very beautiful birds, but are very noisy and make a loud 'squawk' sound. I love to watch them, but don't enjoy listening to them at 5am LOL
That's a sure thing your blue Jay has in common with my friends, then: a very unelegant sound. They seem to belong to the crow family, kind of commoners of the bird world. Their sound to confirm it.
Now I realise "my" Eurasian jays have not been around much. Some ten days ago I still heard them in the tree.
Two days ago very early in the morning (3 a.m.) I heard birds singing in the trees - not nightingales, mind you.
This behavior has been observed already years ago among birds living in cities.
But this is no city. Wonders of nature...

Magicpenny75 said:
I remember sitting in science class in seventh grade, having just moved to North Carolina from Michigan, and a flock of guinea fowl went strolling by the window. Suddenly my teacher was snapping at me, "What?!?! Ain't you ever seen guineas before?"
um,,,no....lol
Some people - even women - are too coarse to teach children.
After half a century I still remember how in second grade the teacher of the first grade - which was literally nextdoor and communicated with our classroom through a door - literally grabbed me by my hair and forcefully shook me back and forth in front of her tiny pupils, because after gymnastics I entered my classroom singing. I can still feel the pain.
Too small and too well-behaved to react, I did not even dare to tell my mummy what the rich old spinster did to me. Had I done so, the woman would have gone through the rest of her life visibly scarred.

FishGirly said:
I found this little guy outside my house. Probably someone’s lost pet? I don’t know. He left but I have no clue where he came from.
Once, when coming back from a visit to the Huntington Gardens near L.A. there was a peacock male (with a mini-harem of two) mirroring himself in the shiny bumper of a pickup in the parking lot. What a sight.

Algonquin said:
I do not know if they still keep up the tradition (which is very likely, though), but a few decades ago there were still peacocks walking around freely in a historic park in Warsaw. They even had a role in an important literary work (a poem?) or a famous song (forgot which).
I actually have seen them when we made an excursion to Warsaw.

DIYbetta

These are just a few... tell me if you want more...
Frodo the mocking bird chick. Does my dog count? He’s a Carolina dog mix ( American wild dog) he has a sister but I don’t have any good pics of her.

Cold&warm

DIYbetta said:
These are just a few... tell me if you want more...
Frodo the mocking bird chick. Does my dog count? He’s a Carolina dog mix ( American wild dog) he has a sister but I don’t have any good pics of her.
I vote for more. Beautiful pictures - lovely dog... What is his name-Dogo?

MomeWrath

Algonquin said:
Have to admit, I had to google Guinea Fowl. I'm familiar with Guinea Pig, but apparently that's not quite the same thing LOL

We have wild Turkeys here - they look somewhat similar to Guinea Fowl. Big and scary, IMO! I wouldn't want to upset one of those things.
NC has a lot of wild turkeys as well. People "keep" guineas here because one of their favorite foods is ticks, which we also have a horrid amount of. Same for peafowl...lots of folks keep those here as well. Guineas are worse to have around than ticks in my opinion. They are loud - much louder than a rooster. They're good watchdogs too. They're the first to send up an alarm when someone drives in your driveway.

DIYbetta

His name is Lenerd and his sister is Penny (from the Big Bang theory). The bottom one is Penny and Lenerd snuggling on their favorite unicorn pillow.

Bluebellie

Algonquin said:
A pet peacock??? Where do you live?
In MiamI lol
But for some reason we see wild peacocks every once in a while. Not sure where they come from. There are no forest or farmlands where I live so I’m assuming it has to have been someone who has them as pets or something.

fish 321

fish 321

DoubleDutch

The bumblebee doesn't belong there.
Tried to get to the UK illegally I think.

BlackSkirtTetra

An Illegal bumblebee. HMMM that raises some questions.

This pigeon was looking at me weird.

JDWebb01

I do a little outdoor photography myself...

fish 321

Algonquin

Lovely! What is that last bird (the blue/black)?

Elkwatcher

JDWebb01

Some more of my outdoor adventures...
I use a Canon 7D MKII and a Tamron 100-400mm for birds and macro shots, and a Canon 7D with a 17-85mm for wide shots.

DoubleDutch

JDWebb01 said:
Some more of my outdoor adventures...
I use a Canon 7D MKII and a Tamron 100-400mm for birds and macro shots, and a Canon 7D with a 17-85mm for wide shots.

Awesome pics

KinderScout

These kids grew up in and around our garden fed on catfood and maybe wintering in our hedgehog house....

One was hungreier than the other...

Though mum sometimes got a look in too...

BlackSkirtTetra

KinderScout said:
These kids grew up in and around our garden fed on catfood and maybe wintering in our hedgehog house....

One was hungreier than the other...

Tough mum sometimes got a look in too...

I didn’t realize that hedgehogs can eat cat food!

Cold&warm

fish 321 said:
Ouch... No more WINNER button.
Wow! Gorgeous pics. IMO we are moving towards the realm of art here ...
Don't tell me one can make these with a smartphone, lest mood sharply drops ...

KinderScout

BlackSkirtTetra said:
I didn’t realize that hedgehogs can eat cat food!
Non-fish catfood is the best food to give them The adult can polish off a whole sachet for an adult cat in one 5 minute sitting and then licks the bowl clean! Don't feed them either milk or bread as it makes them really really ill and can be fatal.

fish 321

Algonquin said:
Lovely! What is that last bird (the blue/black)?
It is a stellar Jay.

fish 321

Cold&warm said:
Ouch... No more WINNER button.
Wow! Gorgeous pics. IMO we are moving towards the realm of art here ...
Don't tell me one can make these with a smartphone, lest mood sharply drops ...
I agree it is a form of art. With the phones they are making now days and their cameras one may be able to take equivalent photos.

toeknee

Came across some Bighorn Sheep near Kremmling Colorado today. They were right next to the road headbutting each other. I'll post the video I got of them later.

RyanC14

Here are a few pictures I have, unfortunately, my phone has the camera quality of a potato (especially from far away).

species in order top to bottom: monarch butterfly, hummingbird moth, luna moth, milkweed tussock moth caterpillar, and red-tailed hawk.

fish 321

Elkwatcher

toeknee said:
Came across some Bighorn Sheep near Kremmling Colorado today. They were right next to the road headbutting each other. I'll post the video I got of them later.
Beautiful Images! toeknee

Señor Pescado

About three months ago, I startled a Shiras moose (and myself) while fishing for some Yellowstone Cutthroats. Luckily for me, he chose to walk up and away from me rather than get aggressive. I threw in some pics of the trout as well. It's theorized that they've been in this watershed for 5 to 8 million years.

fish 321

Momgoose56

fish 321

Momgoose56 said:
Great photos! Sea gull?
I belive the top one is a species of tern.

juniperlea

Fgrefee said:

Thought you might like to see this little guy who lives in the hedges on my aunt and uncle's property in France.
Isn't that a hedgehog? I've always loved them. I don't think there are any in my neck of the woods (US). I remember them when I was a child in the UK though. I have a toy one though!

Cheesecake

fish 321 said:
I belive the top one is a species of tern.
I think it's a razorbill.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom