Wild-life photos - Page 32

Cold&warm

mach6 said:
Here's some of my bug shots around my yard.
Great pictures!
What camera and lens do you use?

mach6

I use a Nikon D610 with reverse mounted Nikon 28mm wide angle lens and stacked with a variation in length of extension tubes from 2 sets of Fotodix. This is probably 1 and half set otherwise the zoom is too much. I've been lazy to make a DIY flash diffuser where I can probably achieve some better pics, these were all hand held and only natural sunlight.

Not really outdoor nature but here's my other thread Amano Shrimp Larvae Growth Progress on my past raising Amano larvae where you can see how much magnification the extension tubes gives, almost like a microscope where you can see the egg and larvae pretty clear. I use about 2 sets and some other extension tube piece to achieve some of the videos.

DoubleDutch

Which animal doesn't belong in this post hahaha

DoubleDutch

Insect collection

Algonquin

A Monarch Butterfly chrysalis.

A Black Swallowtail Caterpillar.

An Agreeable Tiger Moth.

DoubleDutch

Austrian wildlife

kallililly1973

Good timing pic.... as a ladybug was climbing up my door casing last night a spider came out n tried to grab it and a couple other nighttime pics including another lady big on the opposite side of my door... the moth appears to have a lil wing rot on the left side

Cold&warm

DoubleDutch said:
Austrian wildlife ...
A-ma-zing, especially the butterflies ...

Ipman37

A little family of deer,a baby Anole,I can’t remember the name of the moth (srry).and a hummingbird we have so many that love that tree

Elkwatcher

mach6 said:
Here's some of my bug shots around my yard.
Your bug/insect shots are excellent mach6!

DoubleDutch

Some Austrian wildlife again

Elkwatcher

DoubleDutch said:
Some Austrian wildlife again
DoubleDutch... you saved the best for last! All are beautiful.

Cold&warm

Elkwatcher said:
DoubleDutch... you saved the best for last! All are beautiful.
I wonder from how close the very last picture was taken, hahaha. The Austrian lassie with plastic ornaments in both ears looks remarkably friendly (and inquisitive) ...

DoubleDutch

Cold&warm said:
I wonder from how close the very last picture was taken, hahaha. The Austrian lassie with plastic ornaments in both ears looks remarkably friendly (and inquisitive) ...
It was just taken before I got a cowkiss hahaha..

Cold&warm

Are you serious??
I "envy" you enjoying the Austrian mountains in such reassuring company ... .
Have a good stay.

Elkwatcher

DoubleDutch said:
S"moooooooo"ch!

DoubleDutch

Cold&warm said:
Are you serious??
I "envy" you enjoying the Austrian mountains in such reassuring company ... .
Have a good stay.

I am already back in the flat country.

Cold&warm

"Home, sweet home", or what?
Ne'er been in the Austrian mountains m'self. Would love to experience a snowy & frosty December 20th - January 8th period: caroling, sleigh-riding, ice-skating, the famous Austrian pastry, the music of the baroque and the romantic period...
(A dear friend of mine - not always exactly refined in his wording of things, but with a heart of gold - if he had seen your cowkiss and other pictures, would have called you a "bofkont" .)

kallililly1973

Anyone want to take a guess as to what this could possibly be. It was on my outside window this afternoon

Ipman37

kallililly1973 said:
Anyone want to take a guess as to what this could possibly be. It was on my outside window this afternoon
Ailanthus webworm moth!

86 ssinit

Under the butterfly what is that. Looks like s mix of a bee and butterfly

Ipman37

86 ssinit said:
Under the butterfly what is that. Looks like s mix of a bee and butterfly
Hemaris diffinis

Cheesecake

Ipman37 said:
Hemaris diffinis
Commonly known as a hawk moth. Their probably my favorite winged insect .
When I was little I called them hummingbird butterflies .

86 ssinit

Looked like a big bumblebee. Didn’t see the wings till I looked at the pic.

Cold&warm

DoubleDutch said:
Dear DoubleDutch and other cow-lovers (btw am one myself), I heard unsettling things about cows attacking humans with fatal consequences!
Here you can get an idea: .
Would not want to miss future gorgeous wildlife pictures due to some tragic cow encounter ....:inpain::inpain:.

DoubleDutch

Cold&warm said:
Dear DoubleDutch and other cow-lovers (btw am one myself), I heard unsettling things about cows attacking humans with fatal consequences!
Here you can get an idea: .
Would not want to miss future gorgeous wildlife pictures due to some tragic cow encounter ....:inpain::inpain:.
Aware of that mate and certainly when calves are involved I am very careful (having a dog with me).

I think I am quite able to "read" animals and also think they'll react on fear / uncertainty. Grandparents from both sides had cattle, sheep, horses, dogs (Rottweilers), etc.... Living animals are always a risks of course.

In certain National Parcs here they keep Spanish cows. I don't approach those! The milkcows in case are handled daily, so are quite used to people and in most cases don't care about people walking along them.

The close ups are cows behind an electric wire btw.

But one should always be careful and on the other hand risks are part of life !

Cold&warm

Thanks for the reply.
Seriously, I "slaak een zucht van verlichting" (am relieved).

Beautiful additional pictures of Austrian mountains and wildlife! Thanks for posting.

Cheesecake

Cold&warm said:
Thanks for the reply.
Seriously, I "slaak een zucht van verlichting" (am relieved).

Beautiful additional pictures of Austrian mountains and wildlife! Thanks for posting.
Soooo it took you 5 words in that language to say 2 in ours ?

Cold&warm

Hahaha!!

Apart from the fact that English (notoriously) is one of the most succint western tongues, I could also have said "ben opgelucht" (literal translation of "am relieved"), but it would not have rendered the anguish that had burdened me until DoubleDutch answered. "I sigh with relief" does - IMO.
That language by the way is Dutch, a closer relative of English than most people think.

fish 321

Here are some pictures I took when I went through canada a few days ago.

Cold&warm

fish 321 said:
Here are some pictures I took when I went through canada a few days ago.
Gorgeous! That truly is wildlife .. !
I have seen something similar ... only on tv.
In the hills (about 1,800 ft high) behind the supermarket where I am right now lie the boundaries of a national park (Parco Nazionale del Gargano). No bears, no bisons, but plenty of foxes, an occasional wolf.. Some people keep wolves as pets. I find that very scary, although man's wonderful friendship with dogs must have started that way.

Elkwatcher

The notorious ones are back! Herd is 20 strong and all around the house. Lot's of young. Kept awake last night by the bull bellowing trying to keep his clan where he wants them, such a haunting sound. Tolerates the young bulls for a limited time.

lunch

Went up the Yarra for a leisurely Friday drive and sit on the river. This little fella came and joined us

Cold&warm

Elkwatcher said:
The notorious ones are back! Herd is 20 strong and all around the house. Lot's of young. Kept awake last night by the bull bellowing trying to keep his clan where he wants them, such a haunting sound. Tolerates the young bulls for a limited time.

WOW, you got wildlife where you live!!
Mar - ve - lous!
How far north do you live - what is the greatest town/city at your latitude?

Elkwatcher

I've had pet wildlife as well Cold&warm .... this was my buddy Sebastian. My faithful companion for 7 yrs. He even helped me get out of a roadblock once... the look on the policeman's face was priceless!

Wolf010

Elkwatcher said:
I've had pet wildlife as well Cold&warm .... this was my buddy Sebastian. My faithful companion for 7 yrs. He even helped me get out of a roadblock once... the look on the policeman's face was priceless!

Did he spray the police man XD

Cold&warm

Elkwatcher said:
I've had pet wildlife as well @Cold&warm .... this was my buddy Sebastian. My faithful companion for 7 yrs. He even helped me get out of a roadblock once... the look on the policeman's face was priceless!
Heavens! A SKUNK!
How did you befriend him?
I know the scent he and his kinsfolk produce. For years, relatives in California had a distant cousin of his under their house. Whoever went to the washroom was reminded of his presence. Fortunately, it was sprayed in small doses.
BTW, Sebastian looks very cute and friendly. (I am sorry for your loss - or did he in the end take to the woods?)

What is the (scientific) name of "the notorious ones"?
I'd like to look them up in WikI and YouTube.
How I wished I could see something similar from my window...

Wolf010 said:
Did he spray the police man XD
I do not think so: Elkwatcher would have ended up in jail ...

chromedome52

Skunks can be de-scented when very young. I worked part time in a fish shop that also sold other things, and they actually had different colors of skunks. The pet skunks that people came in with were very sweet and well behaved, though the youngsters we were selling were often a little nippy. I learned a few things about them at the time, and if I were going to keep a pet other than fish, it would not be a skunk. But that's just me.

Elkwatcher

Cold&warm said:
Heavens! A SKUNK!
How did you befriend him?
I know the scent he and his kinsfolk produce. For years, relatives in California had a distant cousin of his under their house. Whoever went to the washroom was reminded of his presence. Fortunately, it was sprayed in small doses.
BTW, Sebastian looks very cute and friendly. (I am sorry for your loss - or did he in the end take to the woods?)

What is the (scientific) name of "the notorious ones"?
I'd like to look them up in WikI and YouTube.
How I wished I could see something similar from my window...

I do not think so: Elkwatcher would have ended up in jail ...
Cold&warm I raised Sebastian when he was about 5 inches in the palm of my hand as a kit from a local pet store. Government regulation was de-skunked and neutered with rabies shots. He was very one person, preferred me over others. He had a mischievous habit of taking the blankets off of us while sleeping, tugging the over hang from the floor, and rolling it into a big bundle and dragging it to an empty cupboard he declared "home" lol!

I once almost killed him with Avocado.. mixing it with his fresh veggies and cat kibble.. did you know it has arsenic in it and is fatal to small animals?

The policeman was doing a random liquor check and wanted to go in the back seat where he was sitting. I told the officer he couldn't open the door and he said "why not?" Because Sebastian wouldn't like it officer! Then he had a look and waved me through with a jaw dropping look on his face... I wonder if they believed him back at the detachment haha!

They have a musky smell that you get used to, perhaps it's a faint skunk spray odour. Groomed him as he had an undercoat that was downy soft that I saved and spun up into yarn. Knit a hat, it would only smell when it rained! The worst bad habit Sebastian had was shredding the wall to wall in the corners of one room... they love to dig. I had him before I had a family, which was good as they are escape artist's and without supervision outside, they are as good as gone.

He could of lived longer than 7 yrs if he had not had heart failure. He was compassionately euth'ed and missed terribly. In my heart I would not have another, only because now I think wild animals belong in the wild.

** The natorious ones are actually Roosevelt Elk and they are protected. Doesn't stop the poachers though.

My Dad was sprayed as a child on the prarie's and they wouldn't let him in the house for 2 weeks, he had to sleep in the barn. That was before the tomato juice remedy for skunks!

chromedome52 yes they do bite, but only when preturbed. Dear husband was trying to remove Sebastian from behind the stove one day and got a fang right through his thumb... you do not grab a skunk by the tail. If you pick them up by the neck scruff and support their bodies they don't mind!

Wolf010 When skunks play they mimic the spray position. Sebastian could be obnoxious and would stomp his front feet and drag them backwards, then twist his body around tail up and flared as in the photo!

DoubleDutch

Some "wildlife"

Cold&warm

Elkwatcher said:
Cold&warm I raised Sebastian when he was about 5 inches in the palm of my hand as a kit from a local pet store. Government regulation was de-skunked and neutered with rabies shots. He was very one person, preferred me over others. He had a mischievous habit of taking the blankets off of us while sleeping, tugging the over hang from the floor, and rolling it into a big bundle and dragging it to an empty cupboard he declared "home" lol!

I once almost killed him with Avocado.. mixing it with his fresh veggies and cat kibble.. did you know it has arsenic in it and is fatal to small animals?

The policeman was doing a random liquor check and wanted to go in the back seat where he was sitting. I told the officer he couldn't open the door and he said "why not?" Because Sebastian wouldn't like it officer! Then he had a look and waved me through with a jaw dropping look on his face... I wonder if they believed him back at the detachment haha!

They have a musky smell that you get used to, perhaps it's a faint skunk spray odour. Groomed him as he had an undercoat that was downy soft that I saved and spun up into yarn. Knit a hat, it would only smell when it rained! The worst bad habit Sebastian had was shredding the wall to wall in the corners of one room... they love to dig. I had him before I had a family, which was good as they are escape artist's and without supervision outside, they are as good as gone.

He could of lived longer than 7 yrs if he had not had heart failure. He was compassionately euth'ed and missed terribly. In my heart I would not have another, only because now I think wild animals belong in the wild.

** The natorious ones are actually Roosevelt Elk and they are protected. Doesn't stop the poachers though.

My Dad was sprayed as a child on the prarie's and they wouldn't let him in the house for 2 weeks, he had to sleep in the barn. That was before the tomato juice remedy for skunks!
Thank you very much for sharing these delightful and moving highlights from your seven years with Sebastian ...
Little did I know, when in October 2017 I asked this forum to identify the killifish my online seller had sent me instead of the ones I had ordered and and chromedome52 told me they were Fundulopanchax sjoestedti, that this evening I would be sitting here writing, while repeatedly passing the back of my hands over my cheeks ..

It is amazing how much warmth and fulfilment these little living beings can give to humans.

I have started to look up Vancouver Island and am passing on to Roosevelt Elk, thank you. (Now I understand a cartoon I saw in an American dictionary of an elk with the face of president F.D. Roosevelt.)

Algonquin

Fall colours are almost at peak in Algonquin Park

Elkwatcher

Algonquin Beautiful Ontario! My favourite time of year.

Algonquin

MD_Plants

Everything is still green in Maryland Still waiting for my japanese maple seeds to finish ripining though

Lynn78too

Elkwatcher said:

My dog saw one of those! I always thought I didn't mind the smell of skunk, it's not bad when it's dissipated outside but the smell when it's in the house was so strong it made your eyes hurt. It didn't smell anything like the skunk smell outside.

2 days later, my husband was riding his bike at dawn and he almost hit one while it crossed the sidewalk.

Cheesecake

MD_Plants said:
Everything is still green in Maryland Still waiting for my japanese maple seeds to finish ripining though
Yeah it is. Where are you in Maryland? I'm in Frederick, and some of our trees have started turning.

MD_Plants

Canaculus said:
Yeah it is. Where are you in Maryland? I'm in Frederick, and some of our trees have started turning.
Just north of Baltimore city. I haven’t seen any yet. Guess i’ll be looking harder tomorrow

Cold&warm

Algonquin said:
Fall colours are almost at peak in Algonquin Park ,,,,,,,
Wow!
I am "jealous" (inverted commas because without them would be against me principles...)
Here we have only 2 seasons: hot and cool (more than cold - by your Canadian standards).
Normally a few days per year at or slightly under the freezing point.
I guess there must be lots of artists where you live - with these colo(u)rs...
Today was a stifling day and trees still display full colo(u)rs.
I am happy that where you live there is so much that makes the eye and the heart rejoice...

MD_Plants said:
Just north of Baltimore city. I haven’t seen any yet. Guess i’ll be looking harder tomorrow
Just to be sure is this your city?

fish 321

Here are some more pictures from Montana.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom