Wild Guppies

1. justkoolman Initiate Member

Am from a small island in the caribbean called Montserrat. We only have wild guppies down here used for mosquito control but i enjoy bringing them up in my aquarium. I never knew about fancy guppies until i was looking about some guppy information on the internet, i was amazed in the various colours they have. I have a friend that came down from the United States with 2 male fancy guppies. My question is can i cross bread some of my virgin wild guppies with these 2 male fancy guppies and get the fancy guppy look? Wild guppies are much more plane looking and i would really like to get those beautiful colours of a fancy one. Can this work for me?

2. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yes you can but you will have a half and half mix

3. Marc Well Known Member Member

As far as I know, it should. In fact, they should be a little hardier, though possibly less colorful. If they have enough fry then you could probably pick some for color and sell/give away the rest.

4. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

I will have to do some checking, as I am not sure which tail type ( wild vs fancy) is dominate.
    As with any guppy, choosing which fish you want to continue the line with, and breed will determine what you wil get.
    You just have to get the fry before they get impregnated and choose the male to go with them.

More on this soon.

dino