Wild Gammarus Pulex Disinfection

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Just wondering, to make sure I don't bring in any dodgy parasites and bacteria from the wild into my tanks and kill my fish, should dosing these guys' tank with this make them safe?
()

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I don’t know the answer to your question. However, I always thought it was generally safe to feed wild copepods to aquarium fish, as long as they were collected from areas with no fish, such as vernal pools. The idea being that no fish = no fish diseases and parasites. I’m not sure I buy into that thinking, but I looked into it a while back, and it seems to be the general consensus. Of course I have no idea where you got your gammarus, but figured I throw the info out there.

Don’t take my word for it, though. It’s always better to do further research with whatever info that’s given.

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks. There were definitely no fish there. We were looking for a couple of minnows for my friends pond but it was just tadpoles, snails and gammarus.

I think it dries up or gets very shallow occasionally so I doubt it's very good for fish, plus they'd have to go over little stone waterfalls as it descends down to sea level and would never be able to get back up.

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm going to get a big tub to raise a few of these things. Can get 68 litre (18 us Gallon) pond tubs for £19.99, might get a couple and put them out the back

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Miaw said:
I'm going to get a big tub to raise a few of these things. Can get 68 litre (18 us Gallon) pond tubs for £19.99, might get a couple and put them out the back
Would love to see pics after .

Miaw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey. I have what I think is about 130 litre tub but havent set it up yet. Im going to try the walstad method but outside. Need to find a suitable organic soil with compost first, and a nice day.

Basically it sounds like the plan would be add an inch soil, add an inch pebble or sand cap, and then plant a load of plants that can live outside (and survive uk winter) possibly only egeria densa but probably others. Then harvest and introduce more scuds.

I'll show pics when I get it done

Shame googling organic potting soil doesn't really find me much in UK and the recommended product is not available!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom