Wild crayfish Help

Piggycocoa

I have little tanks and i am getting 25 crayfish and the pic will fit about 15 crayfish in the buckets in pic.
image.jpg

and any help to keep a live and if I can put out door rock in the tanks. Thx so much
image.jpg

Best Answer - View MissPanda's answer

jkkgron2

How are you going to cycle them?

kallililly1973

I wouldn't do it. They will most likely climb out of those totes. I would also learn about the nitrogen cycle it says in your profile u don't know about it unless you have learned it since setting up your account.

MissPanda

Where are these crayfish coming from ? Seems like a better idea would be hold off until you have proper housing and take some time to learn the nitrogen cycle and a little more about these guys. They are awesome to own, but not best suited to live in Tupperware.

Piggycocoa

Me and my mom will lean about the nitrogen cycle

The_fishy

Unless you put on lids that fit snug (preferably with tiny holes for air), they will climb out. They can climb hard plastic, so the tub won’t be difficult for them to climb. Cycling and filtration is a must; I recommend getting old filter media from an established tank if possible. You will likely also need larger volumes of water (30gal per full-sized crayfish of a non-dwarf species), as well as more tanks or tubs depending on the species and ages. If they are young, they may be fine for a little while, but an upgrade would be needed. Most crayfish species are territorial and will cannibalize other individuals who have molted. Do you know which species you have? As for hides, you can use pvc pipes and superglue them into a stack.

MissPanda

Piggycocoa said:
Me and my mom will lean about the nitrogen cycle
How much do you know about fish keeping in general? Is this your first aquatic pet ?

I can suggest a set up with the tubs, but it would only work temporary, or if it's a small species of crayfish. Have you ever used an air pump with spongue filters ? Have you heard of a splitter before ?

StarGirl

MissPanda said:
Where are these crayfish coming from ?
This is my biggest question. Why so many?

JB92668

u need to learn how to cycle a tank and the right ph and gh and kh for the crayfish or they may die

MissPanda

StarGirl15 said:
This is my biggest question. Why so many?
Yeah alot of questions need to be answered to offer help too. When are they arriving, are they babies, what is the species, are they wild caught ? Etc

Piggycocoa

They are going to come in about 3 weeks

StarGirl

Piggycocoa said:
They are going to come in about 3 weeks
From where and why is what the burning questions are......

Piggycocoa

No babys. And I have some experience for like 3 year. I never have had any pumps or filter. I got them at my school and they where supposed to live for 3 months but lived for a year.

And the most I have had is 15

a lot of my friends want them

JB92668

good luck with the crayfish but do try and learn about them from the members on here and from a crayfish book if u can get a book on them cheers john

The_fishy

Piggycocoa said:
a lot of my friends want them
We still really need to know the species in order to give more detailed advice. It would also be important to pass on the advice to any friends who may want them once you have the initial situation sorted out.

Piggycocoa

The_fishy

Piggycocoa said:
They are coming on eBay
So are you taking in the ones from school or are you ordering new ones? If you are ordering, I do not believe that quantity to be the best option for what you are prepared to handle. Crayfish don’t usually like other crayfish. Also, the listing would likely have the species name.

Lucy

Looked at your other crayfish threads. Asking if they eat gravel, asking if you can leave one out in the sun, showing us the totes.
In another thread you were going to catch some in the saint croix river. Isn't it alittle cold there for crayfish just yet?

Personally, I fear your crayfish and you are headed in a direction that is not going to turn out well.

Find out what kind of crayfish they are.
Do your research on what environment they will thrive in, what they eat....all that fun stuff before buying them please. :)

MissPanda

Piggycocoa said:
No babys. And I have some experience for like 3 year. I never have had any pumps or filter. I got them at my school and they where supposed to live for 3 months but lived for a year.

And the most I have had is 15
So how long will you be housing them for before giving them to your friends? How many are you keeping and where do you plan to house the ones you are keeping ?

Piggycocoa

Guys

Do you think I should get less crayfish?

If you think so please tell me

The_fishy said:
So are you taking in the ones from school or are you ordering new ones? If you are ordering, I do not believe that quantity to be the best option for what you are prepared to handle. Crayfish don’t usually like other crayfish. Also, the listing would likely have the species name.
Ok I mite buyless

FishGirl115

I don't know much about crayfish, but that sounds like a lot and not adequate housing. Research and don't order yet.

CrayfishAreAwesome

yes, way too many. buy 1 per container, but preferably 1 per 20+gallon. pics from the buyer would help, as would even a general color.

MissPanda

Piggycocoa said:
If you haven't purchased them yet I would hold off. You mentioned 15 would be going to tupperware containers, so does that mean you were planning to put 10 in an aquarium ?

Your pet crayfish will need an aquarium with a sealed lid. They are master escape artists. You will need to learn about the nitrogen cycle first and a bit about the species of crayfish you are planning to buy. You can google, youtube or ask on here once you decide on the species and have fun learning about them before you buy. Pets can be exciting, but if you jump in too fast I'm afraid you may end up with a lot of dead cray fish once they start dying from ammonia or aggression from overcrowding.

The_fishy

Piggycocoa said:
Ok I mite buyless
I agree with no more than 1 per 20 gallons. There are certain species that may be an exception to this though, so please figure out the species.

CrayfishAreAwesome

yes CPOs are an exeption, but again we NEED to know the species.

Fishproblem

Piggycocoa said:
yeah, you should get fewer crayfish. if your friends want their own, they should set up tanks and when those tanks are ready for crayfish, then they can each get one themselves.

it sound like you haven't hit "buy now" yet - that's a good thing. i've got a single native crayfish in a ten gallon tank right now, and setting up his home has taken a lot of time and thought. learn about the nitrogen cycle, learn about crayfish diet, calcium, and pH needs, and then get ONE crayfish and learn how to care for it properly. then you can definitely think about getting more.

a lot of people have asked, and you still haven't answered. what species of crayfish are you planning to get? the page you're buying from them on will list it. let us know the latin name, and we can tell you lot about exactly what the crayfish needs.

Piggycocoa

Me and my dad are at are cabin and we Caught 20 crayfish and there are some babies and some adults. i try to feed them spinach and it floats. will the crayfish get to the spinach and I have very small Minnows in are lake should I feed them that? What should I feed the babies? Thank you guys so much.❤

Piggycocoa

is there any wood up north that has wood I can have for crayfish or places to buy none expensive wood and I live in Saint Paul and up north in Crosby. Thx! Stay Healthy

jkkgron2

I wouldn’t, you would be better off just buying some online or at a pet store. Are these the crayfish being kept in bins?

pattersonbear

Crayfish will eat anything. I feed mine some blanched veggies and whatever meat we had for dinner.

Piggycocoa

Thank you for telling me. My neighbors at my cabin has some bottom feeders fish foods.

Cheesecake

Piggycocoa said:
Me and my dad are at are cabin and we Caught 20 crayfish and there are some babies and some adults. i try to feed them spinach and it floats. will the crayfish get to the spinach and I have very small Minnows in are lake should I feed them that? What should I feed the babies? Thank you guys so much.❤
No they will not be able to reach the spinach, unless the water is very shallow. I had zero luck with feeding my cray veggies.
They'll pretty much eat anything that moves, even each other if the opportunity presents itself. I usually fed mine with worms, though any insects or small fish (like your minnows) will work as well.

Cheesecake

Piggycocoa said:
is there any wood up north that has wood I can have for crayfish or places to buy none expensive wood and I live in Saint Paul and up north in Crosby. Thx! Stay Healthy
jkkgron2 said:
I wouldn’t, you would be better off just buying some online or at a pet store. Are these the crayfish being kept in bins?
You could, but probably would be better not to. If you can source the wood from the cray's home it might be better.

Broggy

try boiling their food, it should sink then

Top Bottom