Wild Corydorus Foods

Discussion in 'Corydoras' started by Discusluv, Jul 19, 2017.

1. DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

I am getting some wild corydorus duplicareus in a couple days from Wetspot and I am concerned about getting them to eat. Maybe this worry is not warranted, but I want to be prepared in case shrimp pellets and flake are not enough to get them to eat.
    Has anyone had wild cories before and can offer some suggestions on frozen foods?
    I dont want to bother raising my own live foods, would like to just buy something from Hikari or San Francisco Bay Brand.
    I do have all the normal foods for cories: shrimp pellets, flake, algae tabs, freeze-dried black-worms...

2. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I have kept many wild caught Corys, and feeding them is easy. I used bloodworms before I became allergic to them - flake, homemade frozen, whiteworms - everything but pellets, which I use for no fish. If it is small and sinks, they will eat it.

If you have only had farmed Corys, wilds will be a treat. They are so much healthier, and more active.

3. OP
    OP
    D

DiscusluvWell Known MemberMember

I do have all the ingredients on hand (except for the fish) that you gave me for when I make homemade food for geophagus. Would this recipe work for homemade food?
    I got another wild fish today, they are beauties, if you are interested in looking at them they are under the title Imperial Tetra Hyphessobrycon sp. "Peru"

4. BeanFish

BeanFishWell Known MemberMember

I dont think you will have much problem getting them to eat. Since their nature is to go around suctioning stuff they will soon suction whatever you throw in and realize it is food. Blackworms will probably make them go nuts out of all the foods you mentioned, specially if you can get them live.

5. OP
    OP
    D

Hmm. I dont know if the local fish-store has them live- I will look when I go tomorrow. I thought I would get the frozen blood-worms and maybe try brine shrimp or dahnia.

6. OP
    OP
    D

Thank you for giving me that info on pellets- I will not feed them pellets then, Ill just toss them. They are old anyways.

7. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Frozen brine is good but i find the daphnia to be too small for it to get to the corys, its so small and light the filter tends to get what my tetra don't get.

8. OP
    OP
    D

Oh, okay thanks for letting me know that. Ill scratch that. I'm trying to think if I've ever seen anything else. Im usually just buying beef-heart and blood-worms for my discus and dont pay much attention to the other things. I tried to give my discus brine shrimp- they turned their noses up and said Yuck! LOL!

9. grantm91

grantm91Fishlore VIPMember

Yeah my parrots denied it too and my oscar, cories enjoy them and my salty fish do too and my tetra and my fire mouths but they are just ravenous, in the frozen department i only see:
    .veg cubes
    .blood worms
    .brine
    .daphnia
    .cyclops
    Cant remember what the cyclops is like, i also feed chopped prawns occasionally but there from the super market.

I had a cory bloat off those hard shrimp based sinking pellets before i could see them all inside her it wasn't nice ironically the tub had a cory on it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice