Wild Caught Plants

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by guppymutts, Apr 8, 2017.

1. guppymutts

guppymutts Valued Member Member

Has anyone collected plants from local rivers and ponds for use in their aquarium? How did you go about decontaminating the plants?

2. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I plan to collect some hydrocotyle from my backyard, I'm overrun with it. I'm going to do a bleach dip and then dry start them in my new tank.

3. OP
    OP
    guppymutts

What bleach to water ratio will you use?

4. OP
    OP
    guppymutts

What does "dry start" mean?

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

1:20 is the recommended amount, and just dip the plants for a few seconds, then soak in heavily dechlorinated water. Upon further research I maaay not do it, since it can kill the plants as well. I might just let the hydrocotyle sit in some dechlorinated water near a window for a couple days.

Dry start is a technique people use for carpeting plants since these commonly are grow emersed. One floods only the substrate in the tank, then plants the carpeting plants and completely covers the tank to preserve moisture. Since only their roots are in the wet substrate, their leaves have unlimited access to CO2, allowing them to grow faster and it gives them a good start. Once a good amount of growth is achieved, other plants are planted and the tank is filled all the way. It really only works for plants that are grown emersed, and is usually only used for carpeting plants because stem plants tend to... flop over.

The reason I'm using it is I have some carpeting plants I'll be growing from seed and also because the hydrocotyle in the yard is rooted in dirt. I'm not even sure it'll grow well underwater, it's just an experiment for me :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice