Wild caught Mayan cichlid - Updates - Page 2

BrandonInsoft

Here is another update. I ended up buying 2 slightly smaller Electric Blue JDs for the Mayan to socialize with. The Mayan chases them around but never bites them or at least I don’t see any marks on them. The JDs like you hide in the java fern but come out often. They all eat good and are looking healthy to me. Let me know what y’all think.

BrandonInsoft

Caught last November in spring run off at university of Tampa.

Coradee

HI Brandon, he’s looking very well
I’ve merged the threads so members can see & follow his progress better

BrandonInsoft

Coradee said:
HI Brandon, he’s looking very well
I’ve merged the threads so members can see & follow his progress better
Thank you.

MomeWrath

BrandonInsoft said:
Caught last November in spring run off at university of Tampa.
Wow s/he grew up into a beauty! Nicely done!

Pythia

BrandonInsoft said:
Hey, I was hoping some of yall could help me identify this cichlid and how to raise it. I caught this cichlid while gathering data for an ecology class at University Tampa in the campus river. I know there are adult Mayan cichlids along with blue tilapia in the river and this one was caught by net. I put him in a 3 gallon bowl with Carib Sea Eco substrate to raise Ph and add plants to bowl for him to hid in and eat. I put a heater in there and a sponge filter. I currently treating the tank with Kick Ich and voogle Immunity boost. I also just added some BP to the tank to start the nitrogen cycle. Ive been feeding him crushed up small cichlids pellets that I feed to my cichlids in my other tank but he has a hard time eating them. So I bought some line newborn brine shrimp but I think he might be big enough to eat something else. If anyone could give me some tips on how to ensure his survival it would be greatly appreciated. I would love to watch this little guy grow up and put him in a big tank.
Wow! Nice!

BrandonInsoft

Here is another update.

BrandonInsoft

Another update. Leo is now pushing 7 inches. Can anyone tell me if male or female?

A201

Just an educated guess "male". Unlike the male Festae - Red Terror, a close cousin, whose main color is a olive green, the male Mayan has a slight reddish tone.
Many female Central American Cichlid species sport a dark blotch on the dorsal fin. I don't know if that trait is part of Mayan biology.
Nice looking Mayan.

jake37

I found this amusing video. One thing is your fish seems a lot more colourful than these:

MomeWrath

BrandonInsoft said:
Another update. Leo is now pushing 7 inches. Can anyone tell me if male or female?
Spectacular fish. Nicely done on you!

BigBeardDaHuZi

This has been a great thread, thanks for sharing

chromedome52

I would think that is a male. Females often have a black patch in the dorsal, like many of these larger CA Cichlids. He also has very good color, which is extremely variable in both this fish and Red Terrors. The fins are pointed, the stomach is slightly concave, which a female would be convex. From what I've found, Mayans are unlikely to develop a head hump, unusual among CA Cichlids. He has a great deal of spangling for a Mayan. If I didn't know that it was caught "wild" in Florida, I could easily mistake him for a Red Terror. It helps that I've seen the history of this individual and know that he had stripes as a youngster, too.

A201 , yes, male festae can get greenish when they get old and large, at least, in some populations. However, there are also populations where the males retain the bars through adulthood, and have a very red body color. That's the one that got the name Red Terror. Females of all the festae strains I've seen are bright yellow, which Mayan females are not.

BrandonInsoft

chromedome52 said:
I would think that is a male. Females often have a black patch in the dorsal, like many of these larger CA Cichlids. He also has very good color, which is extremely variable in both this fish and Red Terrors. The fins are pointed, the stomach is slightly concave, which a female would be convex. From what I've found, Mayans are unlikely to develop a head hump, unusual among CA Cichlids. He has a great deal of spangling for a Mayan. If I didn't know that it was caught "wild" in Florida, I could easily mistake him for a Red Terror. It helps that I've seen the history of this individual and know that he had stripes as a youngster, too.

A201 , yes, male festae can get greenish when they get old and large, at least, in some populations. However, there are also populations where the males retain the bars through adulthood, and have a very red body color. That's the one that got the name Red Terror. Females of all the festae strains I've seen are bright yellow, which Mayan females are not.
Thank you and everyone else for helping me through the first year of this. I really couldn’t have done it without y’all. Also what did you mean by spangling?

chromedome52

BrandonInsoft said:
Thank you and everyone else for helping me through the first year of this. I really couldn’t have done it without y’all. Also what did you mean by spangling?
Metallic blue spots on the body. He has a lot of them.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom