Wild Caught Fish Opinions

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My thought on wild caught fish is, it’s a good thing. I think this because, of the axolotl(I know not a fish but it helps prove my point) it’s extinct in the wild but people learned how to breed it so it lives on. So my personal opinion is that any species of animal we want to keep, we need to figure out how to breed it and keep it in captivity. Even cardinal tetras, we know how to breed them but are still taking them out of the wild, I think that’s good too, it keeps up diversity and the more we have available, the more people will be able to breed and keep around. What do y’all think?

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I guess if you go back far enough every fish was wild caught at some point.

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Not only that, but wild caught fish can be rare in the hobby and should be dealt with someone who is experienced in fish keeping.

I know this might be a little off topic, but do you own any wild caught fish?

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm pretty sure most people know my opinions on the matter by now. Just want to chime in and say that I recently got a 55g, which I am planning on stocking with wild native fish that will be caught by my own hands.

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I just got 4 angels that were listed as wild ..
You don't see Leopoldi everyday and rarely as tank breed so I felt like the time was now for them ?

AJE

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
When I was one week into the hobby someone gave me a leopoldi angel he died of course

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ah, so you got leopoldis too?
Funny but I am not even a angle fish fan !
But yea when I saw them I had to have them [loaded with store credit so cost did not matter ]..
I am a dreamer but am hoping for a pair and breeding some day..I feel that way about almost every fish I get though !

Crispii

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Funny but I am not even a angle fish fan !
But yea when I saw them I had to have them [loaded with store credit so cost did not matter ]..
I am a dreamer but am hoping for a pair and breeding some day..I feel that way about almost every fish I get though !
They're beautiful, but are often overlooked by scalares and altums. Really love the blue coloration on their gills

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am still waiting for them to settle in .I only got them Sunday !
Besides the tough reputation and high price I have had a hard time staying away from Altums ..
If it wasn't for those two things [well really only 1] I would have them also ..
When it comes to most wild fish if I can get it tank breed I would prefer the domestic ,but it seems I desire fish I can not find domesticated !

Fisker

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wild caught fish are a blessing and a curse.

In some areas, the aquarium fishing industry is the only thing keeping that area being used for various mining and lumber purposes, which would arguably hurt the environment more than just collecting fish from the local waterways. This can be seen quite a bit in Brazil, though the same issue persists in parts of Asia as well. Collecting fish from the wild also keeps the gene pool fresh and also tends to yield larger, healthier specimens than can be seen with aquarium-bred fish. Take a look at neon tetras, as an example. They used to be hardy and easy to keep. Now, you can buy a school of 50 and have 30 die on you, even when you're doing everything right. Cardinals, however, mostly come from the wild, and are much hardier than the modern neon and tend to do much better.

But, of course, collecting these fish from the wild is also harmful. I'd say an incredible amount of them die from the time they're collected to the time they're in your tank as well.

Now, in the marine side of the hobby, I'm all for captive-bred. Catching fish from reefs and open water can be much more difficult than it is in rivers and lakes, and as such, a lot of saltwater fish are collected unethically and tend to not do well in captivity. Their captive-bred counterparts are often slightly cheaper and much hardier.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Both ends are a double edged sword. Wilds, cultivated responsibly, get us good fish. Taking them from the wild is sometimes the only way to get them, and is always the only way to figure out how to breed them.

Aqua culture can be both also. You can run into weak genetics due to lack of population size, but it takes some burden off of the wild population. There are many more points both for and against each way, but at the end of the day, it depends on us being responsible.

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Speaking of wild-caught saltwater fish, I do have a problem with something in regards to that. I don't like it when people want whole halibut, salmon, and cod in their fish foods. Yeah, I'm talking about people touting NLS and Omega One fish foods. I think it's a complete waste and disrespect of our natural resource. Commercial fishing of important prey species like Menhaden is already a huge problem.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom