Wild Caught Fish Identification

1. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Captured in small, shallow blackwater ponds in NW Florida. Most of them are less than one inch total length. Grey, black stripe under eye and very long anal fins. I cannot identify them online, wondering if they are some kind of fry.

IMG_20170406_201018.jpg
    IMG_20170406_201228.jpg

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89 Well Known Member Member

Gambusia affinis

3. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Ah, I saw pictures of mosquito fish but they didn't resemble these. I'm assuming these are juveniles/fry. Do they do well in an aquarium environment?

4. FlutterFish

FlutterFish Well Known Member Member

Basically they're mosquitofish, so yeah, they'll be happy in a tank.

Here you go :

Gambusia affinis (Western Mosquitofish)

5. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Based on this information I think I'll just release them tomorrow. I was planning on adding them to a community tank but apparently that's not a good idea.

Also caught a small central mudminnow, Umbra limi, which I plan to add to the community tank.

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Could be mosquitofish, though they look different from the mosquitofish that can be caught in my area.

7. Cori Elizabeth

Cori Elizabeth Well Known Member Member

Those aren't gambosia, the fry dont have anal fins like that or stripes in the eye :)

They do look like a type of Poeceilia though

EDIT: mosquito fish carry a disease as well

8. FishL:))

FishL:)) Well Known Member Member

Is it just me or do mosquitofish look kind of look similar to a guppy??
    Pretty fish!! Where did you catch them?

9. Cori Elizabeth

they're in the same family :) Poecilia

10. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

The first thing I thought when I saw them was livebearers, as there are some native varieties in Florida, but I was unsure.

I had no idea these fish even existed until today. I went out into a swampy area behind my grandmother's to collect wood and wild plants, and scooped up a couple of fish with my net. There were also unidentified crayfish and what appeared to be catfish no more than a few inches long, but they were much too fast and I wasn't about to go wading into a blackwater swamp barefoot to find out, too many venomous snakes and snapping turtles in our area!

Northwest Florida, in a small blackwater pond on my grandmother's property. They appear to be in temporary or seasonal pools. Caught them alongside mudminnows, bullfrog tadpoles and a few crayfish.

11. FishL:))

Wow! What a variety!! I was going to see if I was by ANY chance able to check them out... but I live in OH. :)

12. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Those are mosquito fish.  

13. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Alright, this fact sheet resembles them much more clearly. I can confirm now that they are Western mosquitofish, albeit very young ones. Will release them back into their pond tomorrow.

14. FishL:))

Nice. :)

15. Cori Elizabeth

Mosquito fish are great to breed but wild caught ones carry a fish disease that is horrible to your tanks. wherever youre keeping them for now is best to be sterilised before using it again :)

16. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I can confirm that they are Gambusia/Mosquitofish, but if you caught them in Florida, they are not affinis, but G. holbrooki. At one time the Mosquitofish were thought to be a single species ranging from the East Coast to Texas. However, scientific work showed that G. affinis is found mostly west of the Mississippi River (type location is two rivers in Texas), while most of the Gulf Coast and East Coast have G. holbrooki (types are from Palatka, FL, and from North Carolina). Males are much smaller than the females, which is why some might mistake them as "fry". They are ubiquitous to every lake, river, stream, pond, swamp, mudhole, and often rain puddles in Florida. There are some significant populational differences; certain populations are known to commonly produced black spotted males. These have been line bred in aquaria to produce females that are also spotted.

I would have to recommend against trusting the last website linked. USGS is severely out of date on their species information, and some of it is decades old. If you read Seriously Fish a little closer, you will find that it tells how to differentiate between the two species.

And Gambusia are no more related to Guppies than Swordtails. They are all in the Family Poeciliidae, but Poecilia is a Genus, not a Family. It is easy to get confused.

17. OP
    OP
    Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

It's going to be a shrimp tank, still need sterilizating?

18. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

Mosquitofish in the US don't carry any significant diseases. That is an Australian problem. However, any wild fish could be carrying parasites or disease, and it is safest to give them a standard quarantine period and/or treatment. BTW, they will not do well in an aquarium with other small fish, or rather other fish will not do well with them; they are very aggressive fin biters.

As to whether fish and shrimp can share any diseases, you will have to ask the shrimpers on the forum about that.

19. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I believe shrimp can carry some fish diseases, but cannot be affected by them themselves.

20. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOo Well Known Member Member

Mudminnows are carnivorous and will eat any live prey that fits in their mouth. I've personally seen mine hunting mosquitofish and had to separate them.