Wild Caught Fish And Need Help Identifying

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi, so today I caught 3 unidentified fishes in the North River in Marshfield MA. I need help identifying them so I can properly care for them. The two other fish are smaller so the one pictured is the largest . He has a yellow belly and stripes and he almost looks like a killi fish but I don't know if there are killifish around here. The water is brackish but the ocean was rather far from where I got them from so it shouldn't be so high in salinity but I want to know the species yet can't find anything. And this fish are schooling fish I could see many of them and they all stuck together I had to take him out of water but just for a second because I had a hard time taking a good pic of him in the tank.
If you need more pics I'll try but can't guarantee.
Snapchat-791452309.jpg
1526004456203.jpg

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
scarface said:
I have a pretty good idea what they’re are, but not entirely sure. I do agree they are killies. @chromedome52 I think will know.
Ok I hope the person knows what type of killies and thanks for confirming that they most likely are killies.

BettaNation

Valued Member
Reaction score
MikeRad89 said:
Can't make out the other ones, but the killi is fundulus diaphanus
Thanks! The others look like sort of minnows but with black stripes and I'm thinking it's either the females or juveniles or just something that lives along side the killi but will see.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The killie is Fundulus heteroclitus, the Mummichog. Common all along the East Coast from Canada to Florida. Primarily a brackish fish, but can range pretty far into fresh water. Youngsters don't look quite as impressive as older males. The edging on the dorsal and anal will get much broader and brighter. F. diaphanus has no such edging on the unpaired fins, and tends to be thin and more elongate looking.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom