10 Gallon Tank Wild caught dwarf gouramis!!!

ArthurTheAquarist

I managed to snag 4 wild caught dwarf gouramis from my LFS a few months ago. Originally I thought 3 of the 4 were females because of how subtle the coloring was, but a few weeks later they colored up and 2 were actually males. Now I have 3 males and 1 female, however they have been living peacefully without any issues a lot like honey gouramis. Upon observation they are much smaller(1.5 inches) than the farm raised ones. They're also much more peaceful and shy, and are very inquisitive. Here is a male and female pair.

Attachments

• IMG_20210523_133221_704.jpg
    IMG_20210523_133221_704.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20210523-134410_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210523-134410_Gallery.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 38

WRWAquarium

They are so beautiful.

Upvote 0

awilkinson871

They are absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite fish to look at. If they just colored up I am interested to see if that is related to maturing. If so the hormones may start causing problems. Keep and eye and lots of hiding places... just in case. Maybe you got lucky and because they were raised together from such a young age they wont cause problems.

Upvote 0

ArthurTheAquarist

They are absolutely beautiful. One of my favorite fish to look at. If they just colored up I am interested to see if that is related to maturing. If so the hormones may start causing problems. Keep and eye and lots of hiding places... just in case. Maybe you got lucky and because they were raised together from such a young age they wont cause problems.
Having experience with dwarf gouramis i will definitely be careful! The myth of wild caught ones being peaceful has been true as of now for my case but ill definitely be on the lookout

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

Lovely fish! I wish you success in keeping them.
Not sure I would call that a "myth" though, personally I think the domestic and the wild fish should be considered a different species altogether, the difference in behaviour and looks is quite stark. Like you pointed out they are quite similar to Honey's.

Upvote 0

ArthurTheAquarist

Lovely fish! I wish you success in keeping them.
Not sure I would call that a "myth" though, personally I think the domestic and the wild fish should be considered a different species altogether, the difference in behaviour and looks is quite stark. Like you pointed out they are quite similar to Honey's.
I agree because I too consider them to be so different. You would think that the wild ones would be larger in size as fish usually grow bigger in the wild but its the complete opposite in this case.

Upvote 0

jinjerJOSH22

I agree because I too consider them to be so different. You would think that the wild ones would be larger in size as fish usually grow bigger in the wild but its the complete opposite in this case.
Same in my case too.

Upvote 0

Hellfishguy

Good luck with them. I can remember back to when the wild type were the only ones available! I always though the females were subtly beautiful.

Upvote 0

ArthurTheAquarist

Good luck with them. I can remember back to when the wild type were the only ones available! I always though the females were subtly beautiful.
I agree. The females have a very humble and shiny appearance which I really like and find very under-appreciated.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
FlamegouramiJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
jinjerJOSH22
  • Question
Replies