Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Wild Caught Dwarf Gouramis Question

Discussion in 'Dwarf Gourami' started by ArthurTheAquarist, Mar 19, 2019.

1. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

Hello!

I currently have a pair of farm raised dwarf gouramis, but I am seeking a wild caught pair, and I have some questions.

Where can I buy wild caught dwarf gouramis in the Houston area? My LFS can only order farm raised DG.

Can the iridovirus infect wild caught specimens?

Do the wild caught specimens grow smaller than their farm raised counterparts?

Are wild dwarf gouramis more peaceful to the point where multiple males can be kept together in a harem with females?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Screenshot_20190319-155939_Gallery.jpg

2. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to Fishlore hope our members can help answer your questions today

3. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

I doubt you'll find any wild caught DG's anywhere.

Some months ago a member of one of the forums I am on placed a pic of wikdcaught fish and one of the fish was ID-ed as a DG.
    It appeared to be bigger than the farm bred ones and have a darker color than those.
    Searched for the thread but couldn't find.

I suspect that they can be infected by Iridovirus but might be hardened more.
    Purely a suspecion cause there is a lot unknown about the viruses. Australia is one of the countries that has taken action to not infect native fish this way, so that could mean native fish can contract it.

I don't think natural males will be less agressive. Higher temps means mating for these fish and the behaviour that belongs to that.

You've some really nice ones. Don't keep.them.too warm.in normal periods and raise the temp.when you ant to spawn them get the a densely planted tank (also with floaters) so the female can hide after spawning (or even remove it).
    The male might kill it otherwise.

4. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

Thank you!

5. ArthurTheAquaristNew MemberMember

Thank you for the really good advice. I just realized that one of my local fish stores can order wild DGs, but there is a minimum order of 10 for wild caught fish, so I'm told that I would have to buy all of them, which isnt happening.