Wild Caught Corys Vs Tank Bred

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm waiting on my lfs to get a shipment of Cory Habrosus in, it's been a couple of weeks already. I found out the other day that the delay has to do with "high water levels in the river in Columbia" that they are from. I didn't realize until then that they would be wild Corys - I just assumed they were tank bred.

Do I need to do anything different for these little guys once they arrive? Would I acclimate them any differently?

My tank setup is fairly 'natural' - I've got soft sand, driftwood, live plants and some IAL. What else can I do to make their new home a happy one?
And, by the way, now I feel a bit guilty that these little guys are being 'fishnapped' from the river to come and live with me
thanks!

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Ask if they are going to be acclimated to your store's water. Request that they aren't. I'd acclimate to distilled water, then to your tap water through drip acclimation.

75g Discus Tank

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wild caught are a bit harder, but cories are hardy. I have wild sterbai and never had one die.

You might need to feed them frozen foods for the first couple of days to get their metabolism going so they will eat pellets.

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ok thanks for the tips. Re the lfs - they aren't getting them in exclusively for me, so yes, they would be acclimated to the fish store's water. They typically let them 'relax' for several days there before they will sell any wild fish that have had a long journey

Would frozen brine shrimp be ok? I have that on hand, but could also get frozen bloodworms if they'd prefer that.

Also, what would the ideal tank temperature be? I believe mid 70s, would that be any different since they're wild?

lilabug4545

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Algonquin said:
Ok thanks for the tips. Re the lfs - they aren't getting them in exclusively for me, so yes, they would be acclimated to the fish store's water. They typically let them 'relax' for several days there before they will sell any wild fish that have had a long journey

Would frozen brine shrimp be ok? I have that on hand, but could also get frozen bloodworms if they'd prefer that.

Also, what would the ideal tank temperature be? I believe mid 70s, would that be any different since they're wild?
BBS would be the best course, but if you can't culture it (or don't want to), then frozen foods will be fine. Just be warned that you might have to sit there, moving the food for a bit (I know from experience).

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
By 'moving the food', do you mean so they think it's alive?

Algonquin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Great, thanks for all your help! Now I just have to wait for them...:depressed:

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have what i know is a wild caught habrosus female, and six I am assuming they are tank raised younger habrosus cories (they came in store, they are tiny, and I don't have a confirm of whether wild or tank), they are doing fine in my water as well as the wild caught pygmy cories i have (7 of those as well, different tanks). My wilds seem to handle changes a lot better than my tank raised ones, they handle disease better as well it seems. (They are less sensitive to disease it seems compared to tank raised cories i have, they are as hardy as my shoal of aeneus cories, right now sitting at 13-14 of them, bronze and albino).

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom