Wild-caught Bass In With African Cichlids Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enjoyyourwork, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Enjoyyourwork

EnjoyyourworkNew MemberMember

Yes hello I was wondering if I could put wild-caught bass in with My African Cichlids I used to have a 75 Oscar aquarium with rock bass and they all got along considering the temperature difference from the lake to the temperature in my tank never affected their health. Ps how closely related are African cichlids and American Bass? And if not does anybody know of any closely related fish to African cichlids?

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

They are not closely related to African cichlids at all, and I would highly recommend not putting them together. Why are you looking for fish related to the African rift lake cichlids?

3. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

For a small question, that's huge.
    First off, in many many places, keeping a bass or any local game fish is illegal. There are big fines for that, if you are as caught as that fish was.
    Centrarchidae is the sunfish family, and they replace Cichlids ecologically around Texas. They resemble Cichlids but are not closely related. They fill the same niche ecologically.
    When you say you want info on fish like your Cichlids, I'm guessing you are asking about Malawi Cichlids. There is a huge family of relatives, as the Cichlid family goes back before the split of the continents, 140 or so million years ago. They have had a lot of time to evolve into new species, 2 to 3 thousand current species worth, from Africa, Asia, the Americas and the Middle East.
    It's a huge, diverse family.

4. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I don't know about Canada, but in the States, keeping gamefish usually just requires a fishing license. There's more to it, like size limits, quantity, etc., but that's the jist of it.

Edit: A gamefish status just means they are protected from commercial fishing for the benefit of recreational users. It has nothing to do with rarity or endangerment of the species. And as far as keeping with Chiclids, who knows. It's not like people keep their aquariums region specific. Bass are found in all 49 states (I think Alaska being the exception). Were they native to most of those areas? Definitely not! They were introduced and proved they thrive in a wide range of parameters. Personally I know nothing of chiclids. If it works for you, great. If you decide to try it, I'd be curious to know.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  5. James17

James17Well Known MemberMember

Bass do not do well in fish tanks, they will live a while but they are a pain to try and get them to eat. And there could be legal problems with keeping sportfish in an aquarium, depends on the local laws.
    U.S. has many different sunfishes that will thrive in an aquarium if it is big enough.

6. oOBlueOo

oOBlueOoWell Known MemberMember

Your state dnr may prohibit owning a native fish. Or they may require that you buy it from a fish farm.

For example, in my state it's illegal to put certain wild caught fish in a tank. I could buy a bass from a fish farm but I'd have to keep the receipt.

As for keeping it with cichlids, I have green sunfish with a yellow lab and two bumblebee cichlids. This is a big tank, so they have room to swim.

7. NavigatorBlack

I looked up the answer to the question of keeping a wild caught native fish as a pet. The original post came from Spokane, Washington. Here is a quote from their F&W: "No. It is illegal to hunt or possess protected native fish or wildlife or species classified as endangered or protected in Washington ( ). See  ."
    Apparently invasive species are legal, native ones are protected from aquariums. You can kill them, but you can't keep 'em. A lot of states seem to protect predators, due to their sport fishing value.

8. James17

Sunfishes are legal to keep in aquariums everywhere that I know of, their very interesting and massive poop machines.

9. scarface

Bass are neither protected nor endangered.

10. James17

Bass are a gamefish in all states, therefore protected by DNR with laws that deal with the keeping of them.

11. APierce

APierceWell Known MemberMember

If you catch a bass that is smaller than a certain size you have to put it back and you can't keep it....so, unless that bass is of that certain size, you can't keep it...and if you do keep it they are thinking you are going to mount or eat it...not keep it in a tank.

12. scarface

". . . illegal to hunt or possess protected native fish . . . "
    So, based on the above summarized quote that NavigatorBlack posted, you are insinuating that bass is a protected native species that is "illegal to hunt". Now, we all know that simply isn't true. Bass are gamefish. It doesn't mean they are a protected species.

13. APierce

Your both right...they are illegal to "hunt" unless you have a license to do so...:)

14. scarface

To clear things up and avoid confusion, protected means that you cannot target them at all--commercial nor recreational; hence, no hunting or possessing. I think people are confusing the terminology. I think thr pserson that would really know the regulations is the OP. Personally, I'm not that invested into looking it up myself. I just respond when I get an alert. Fishing in many different states, I wouldn't be surprised if the laws are similar. Again, I'm not wasting my time to look it up. The "you can't keep native fish in aquariums" is what I have the most issue with.

15. APierce

I agree, if @Enjoyyourwork would like to keep a wild caught bass....perhaps they should contact their local fish and wildlife division and ask if it is legal to do so!

16. NavigatorBlack

It took all of maybe 30 seconds to look it up and see how the laws work.
    It interests me because we have similar regulations, and I like native fish. I've spent many many hours looking for local/regional species. I always check the local laws and regulations before I go fishing anywhere.
    We can dig in and fight here, or we can become informed. If I lived in the land of many darters, I wouldn't be looking at bass!

17. scarface

Well, there's something we can agree on. Bass wouldn't be my first choice either. I think bassfishing is overrated. They don't even look that attractive in aquariums.

18. APierce

I caught a HUGE bass once when I was much younger...I know how big they can get, that is why I wouldn't recommend it if it is allowed or not...to be completely honest!

19. scarface

I heard of people catching and donating particularly large ones to BassPro shops. To be honest, I just like looking at the big, dinner plate sized bluegills. I'm more of a saltwater guy, but would love to get into a school of these guys while fishing.

20. chromedome52

chromedome52Fishlore VIPMember

I know for a certainty that if you possess a gamefish in an aquarium in Michigan, you have to have a scientific permit that states you are keeping it for study purposes. This includes any sunfish species that is native, as they are also considered gamefish and have a fishing season. You can keep dead gamefish in the freezer, but you cannot maintain them alive out of their fishing season. The same is true for Florida, last I heard. I also know that Georgia passed a law several years ago against keeping any native fish in an aquarium.

Some states do allow for aquarium keeping, so long as you have a current and valid fishing license. However, most states do NOT allow the maintaining of gamefish in an aquarium without a permit. I knew a guy who was in charge of the aquarium at a BassPro in Missouri, he had to keep paperwork for each and every fish in their tank. And I know several people in the North American Native Fish Association, they maintain a website where one can research what might or might not be legal in all parts of the country.

Back to the original question of keeping a Bass with "African" Cichlids: it is not just the temperature that will be a problem, though it likely would be in the long run. The Bass is a predator, and will eventually get big enough to eat any Malawian Mbuna. And they grow fast, very fast. Rock Bass and Oscars share habitat in Florida, where the Oscar is the invader. Max size on the two species is fairly similar, so less risk of one eating the other.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice